Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

How to get the door panel off

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2009, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get the door panel off

I have a 1999 (late model) Silverado extended cab pickup. The speaker in the passenger door is bad and I need to put in a new one. How does the inside door panel come off? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old February 20th, 2009, 8:53 AM
CF Active Member

the top corner panel by the mirror pops off the trim around the pull latch pops off if power the switch panel pops off the lock lever pops out with a little pryin there will be a screw under the arm rest towards the back if power another one behind the switches if manual the one by the arm rest one behind the lock and one at the bottom towards the front the window crank has a clip on the back of it you can get a tool to remove it or you can take a small screw driver and pop it off after all of that it lifts straight up and off not too bad oh yea the screwqs should be a 7 mm or you can use a 9/32
Old February 21st, 2009, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Same technique can be applied in all model of silverado also.
Old February 21st, 2009, 8:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have removed those doors can't tell how many times, and I am still trying to translate what X said....

Anyways, it removes very easy.
hidden screw under the triangle next to the side view mirror. just pop triangle up.
hidden screw behind the door handle. you need to pop protective cap around the handle and twist it off the handle.
the little slide that locks/unlocks the door lock needs to be removed either. it's a bitch, as it has tiny little prongs that have to slide back just yey right, or it'll keep falling off the panel from then on
hidden screw in the door pocket.
hidden screw at the very bottom of the door panel, you need to get down on your knees to find it
should be one on the side of the door facing pillar B.
I think that's it. It slides up and off very easy, no clips. If it does not, don't force it, you have something holding it in place, investigate.
You will have to twist out door panel light in the far bottom corner of the panel. Can't tell how many times I dropped that little light bulb into the door during this.
what else.... speaker is bonded to the baffle. baffle is clipped into the door frame and takes A LOT of effort to unclip. unless you really good with epoxies, you will have to bolt new speaker to the door frame itself, or fork for mucho dinero for a factory replacement. I, honestly, packed mine with wall insulation, between diffuser and frame, to get rid of that khhhrrr at low base. works on both doors.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

I got it off. Thanks for the help
Old March 5th, 2009, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I have removed those doors can't tell how many times, and I am still trying to translate what X said....

Anyways, it removes very easy.
hidden screw under the triangle next to the side view mirror. just pop triangle up.
hidden screw behind the door handle. you need to pop protective cap around the handle and twist it off the handle.
the little slide that locks/unlocks the door lock needs to be removed either. it's a bitch, as it has tiny little prongs that have to slide back just yey right, or it'll keep falling off the panel from then on
hidden screw in the door pocket.
hidden screw at the very bottom of the door panel, you need to get down on your knees to find it
should be one on the side of the door facing pillar B.
I think that's it. It slides up and off very easy, no clips. If it does not, don't force it, you have something holding it in place, investigate.
You will have to twist out door panel light in the far bottom corner of the panel. Can't tell how many times I dropped that little light bulb into the door during this.
what else.... speaker is bonded to the baffle. baffle is clipped into the door frame and takes A LOT of effort to unclip. unless you really good with epoxies, you will have to bolt new speaker to the door frame itself, or fork for mucho dinero for a factory replacement. I, honestly, packed mine with wall insulation, between diffuser and frame, to get rid of that khhhrrr at low base. works on both doors.
Wow... no offense, but either the models you've worked on are very different or BOTH you and X have written the worst directions ever.

I have a 97 that has a door latch problem I believe is behind the door panel. Taking off is a nightmare only because you can't tell if it's a compression fitting holding it on and you just have to pull or if it's a screw and something's gonna crack or break. This would be great:

1) Triangle at the top - push straight up until it clicks out of place. (there is no screw)
2) At the handle used to open the door, there is an inner plate and an outer ring. Pop off the outer ring by pressing a standard screwdriver in between the plate and ring. First at the top, then bottom, then left. Gently pull off from the left and the right side will pop off.

etc, etc.

These are directions that people need when doing this for the first time. Not rambling nonsense with no punctuation and certainly not talk about "hidden screws" that don't exist. Like the red & white light at the bottom - "twist out the door panel light" doesn't help. I feel like it's going to break no matter what direction I pull or twist. There is only one way do to it right and six ways to do it wrong and break it.

So if anyone out there can actually post a helpful set of directions, that would be great. If not, once I'm finished figuring it out, I'll post it.
Old March 5th, 2009, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

OK here we go. This is for my 97 Silverado and like model years...

Step 1) Push up on the plastic triangle closest to the side view mirror. Once it's up, you can gently pull if straight off. Set aside.

Step 2) At the handle used to open the door, there is an inner plate and an outer ring. Pop off the outer ring by pressing a standard screwdriver in between the plate and ring to depress the tabs. First at the top, then bottom, then left. There's one more tab holding it on the right. Gently pull off from the left and the right side will pop off. Set aside.

Step 3) Remove the two screws inside the handle you grab to pull the door closed.

Step 4) With a standard screwdriver, pry up the left side of the power windows/locks housing. Lift the left side up and the right side will come out on it's own.

Step 5) Unplug the mirror wire. Use your standard screwdriver to pop out the entire black box with the windows and door locks rather than trying to unplug them individually. There are two tabs holding it in place on the short ends - start at either end. Set aside the colored housing.

NOTE: This step can be done last, but it's FAR easier to do it before you pull the panel off. If not, you'll be doing this while trying to hold the door panel and having it pulling on the wires.

Step 6) Remove the red/white light assembly. Not just the lens, the whole assembly. Do this by gently pushing your standard screwdriver in along the top or bottom of the light, closer to the left side. Make sure you go past the lens and are pushing on the white plastic behind it. Once you have one side out, the rest should come out easily. Unplug it and set aside.

NOTE: Now you are ready to start pulling off the panel itself. The rest of it is pulling on compression fittings. It sometimes feels like you're going to break something. If it's just coming loose, check the steps and make sure you didn't skip something. Double check that I didn't missing something too - something could have already been broken on my previously severely abused truck.

Step 7) There are four compression fittings along the bottom. Start by pulling those straight out.

Step 8) There are three on the right side (closest to the front) and two on the left. Pull those out as best you can.

Step 9) The panel hangs along the top. I used the red/white light hole and power locks hole to pull out and up at the same time. CRUNCH! And it's out. Feed the black box of power switches through the hole and you can set it down.

------------

Depending on why you are doing this, you may or may not have to remove the metal plate behind the door panel. If you do, there are 7mm screws all around it. CAUTION: All of the window risers and bars for the handles and locks are attached to plate. Be careful not to allow the window to fall and break. Good luck!

Last edited by motofabio; March 5th, 2009 at 6:26 PM. Reason: spelling correction