Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 1:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

How many of you had this happen to

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How many of you had this happen to

Hello everyone I was wondering how many of you had or have rusted out brake lines, and gas lines, rear shackles on your GM/Chevy Silverado
My truck is a 2002 ext cab 4x4 Silverado with less than 94k am the original owner and I keep my truck looking good and well kept but I have had allot of problems with brake lines and gas line power steering pump and rear shackles rusted thru and rear bumper. So if you have or had these problem I hope you will file a complaint with the NHTSA, I know they are launching a engineering study on the brake lines. so if you had or have these problems let us all hear about it. I wish GM/Chevy would make better parts for there trucks let us go back to quality and like a rock not like a rusted Bucket
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:55 AM
CF Junior Member

I've never had this problem but have seen many cars and trucks that have most of them are from up north where they see a lot of snow and ice and people don't wash the underside after driving on the salt and sanded roads. I agree that gm has slacked on their quality of cars and trucks and some thing needs to be done about it
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:16 AM
CF Active Member

I've had a couple of these trucks myself and know of many people with them and I have never had or seen anyone have any issues with rust whatsoever. However, I do live in a hot dry climate where rust really isn't much of an issue anyway.
Old January 19th, 2014, 9:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if you live in a rust belt its very common for every brand. If the vehicle is parked for long periods its even worse. I replace brake lines front to rear on a vehicle about 2Xmonth.
Mechanics in not rust belts never change brake lines in there lifetime.

Manufacturers build car for global sales. They are not going to re-engineer cars for the relatively small portion sold for people in the rust belt.

All the new designed gm vehicles have coated fuel and brake lines from factory greatly preventing corrosion.

if you live in a rust belt and don't do yearly rust proofing; your $40 000 investment is junk after 6years.

Good luck with a lawsuit against the biggest company in the world for warranty on a 10year old vehicle.

Last edited by tech2; January 19th, 2014 at 9:55 AM.
Old January 20th, 2014, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if you live in a rust belt its very common for every brand. If the vehicle is parked for long periods its even worse. I replace brake lines front to rear on a vehicle about 2Xmonth.
Mechanics in not rust belts never change brake lines in there lifetime.

Manufacturers build car for global sales. They are not going to re-engineer cars for the relatively small portion sold for people in the rust belt.

All the new designed gm vehicles have coated fuel and brake lines from factory greatly preventing corrosion.

if you live in a rust belt and don't do yearly rust proofing; your $40 000 investment is junk after 6years.

Good luck with a lawsuit against the biggest company in the world for warranty on a 10year old vehicle.
No law suits facts I take care of my truck washing, waxing, all maint done my old 88 NEVER had these problem I drive the same then as now, just seems no one is stepping up here in this forum, If you Google brake line and gas line problem with gm trucks there are many complaints and a NHTSA investigation.
Old January 20th, 2014, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

I happened to look at my brake lines (2006 Silverado) and they are pretty rusted out. I am worried they are going to give out one day so I may replace them some time in the near future.
Old January 20th, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

I went with nickel lines they won't rust and the oem are coated but my garage said there no better. Stainless is good also, I went with nickel only because the kit for my truck was not out yet?? And nickel will last the truck out.
Old January 20th, 2014, 9:50 PM
Super Moderator

I have not seen nickel line yet but I have used copper/nickel brake tubing. It is great for rust resistance and is very nice to work with. The down side is the cost and it doesn't handle vibration as well as steel.

I have never replaced an oem coated brake line ever...any they have been used on cars for 10 years now. My 2005 dodge ram has coated lines and they are mint after 9years in the rust belt...fenders are rusted but brake lines ok.

Last edited by tech2; January 20th, 2014 at 9:52 PM.
Old January 20th, 2014, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by petrellajr
I happened to look at my brake lines (2006 Silverado) and they are pretty rusted out. I am worried they are going to give out one day so I may replace them some time in the near future.
all my vehicles that didn't have coating from factory; I apply rubberized rocker guard to them.

When and if you get new lines made up...if they use steel tubing; have them rocker guarded or they will have surface rust in 6months time.
Old January 21st, 2014, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

I actually found some pre-bent stainless steel lines from what seems like a very professional company (Inline tube The brake plumbing experts). After some research I am pretty confident in this company when and if I do end up replacing the lines.