Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

How to remove headlights??? Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2008, 7:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to remove headlights??? Please help!!

From another forum...

NNBS requires you pull the grill, and has a hidden bolt on the side of the truck. You can get to it with a long 1/4" extension with a 10mm socket on the end. You need to stick the socket and extension between the bumper and fender to get at the bolt. Don't take it all the way out though, the tab there is slotted, and it can be a real pain to find that bolt if you drop it out.

I've also found that the headlight is a crazy tight fit between the housing and the upper fender lip, I've had to take a screwdriver to gently pry the fender up and out of the way.
Old February 5th, 2008, 8:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tahoe, the dealership offered me no advice at all without bringing it in and when they asked why I wanted to take them out and I told them, they said they wouldnt do it, jerks! Yeah, there are no pins holding them in. Just some bolts. After removing the bolts and unplugging the bulbs the headlight assembly has a lip on the inside that catches on the grill. The other side wont budge away from the fender part. I managed to pull the bottom away, but could not for the life of me get the rest of it out. Then I couldnt return the bottom half to its normal position. So now, my driverside headlight is pointed up because the bottom half of it is not seated in. Its very frusterating. I talked to someone else on here who somehow managed to install the HID's without taking the headlight housings out, but that is so much more difficult. But I guess its not as difficult as removing the headlight assembly, haha. Im hoping someone has an answer for me, or im giving up on it. Ive got too much other stuff to worry about other than these stupid headlights. I would just really like to have HID's, I have had them on all my past vehicles, and they are great!!

Thanks everybody for replying!!!!
Old February 5th, 2008, 8:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks Tahoe, very much!!!!!

Im gonna bother you one more time, I hope im not over extending myself here.

Do you know how Im supposed to remove the grill by chance??
Is this gonna be more trouble than its worth in your opinion??
Im so/so mechanically inclined, how long do you suppose this whole task is gonna take?? Like half a day, whole day, weekend project, buy some beer and pizza and invite some friends over for a few hours??

Never the less, thanks for all your help

Josh
Old February 5th, 2008, 9:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes once you've located all of the headlight bolts. The grille is not a problem. No tricks there. Just start at top and work down...with grille outthe above advice will get those lights out.
Old February 5th, 2008, 9:55 PM
CF Senior Member

thanks man, youve been a big help!!
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: fireman526
Ill answer your first question, im not gonna dignify your other questions with answers. Im installing a HID headlighting system, and it would be alot easier if I could get the headlight housings out. So if you want to share some insight to help me, by all means please leave a comment. But if your just gonna post wise cracks, dont post here.
Thanks!
Thanks for the clarification, I was just curious.