Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hypertech for a 98

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2011, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech for a 98

Hey guys I bought a hypertech III programmer for my 98 1500 and when it got here it said it was for 99-2001 I believe. oh and I got it off of Ebay btw. Anyway i went ahead and put it on my truck because it worked but i haven't noticed any real change besides it taking off the top speed limiter. Another thing is that my truck has a crate motor in it. Should that have any affect on the programming? it said it was for a 5.7 which is what i have. Maybe i was expecting more out of it since my dad has one on his diesel that is straight nasty. Anyway let me know if you know what the problem is, or if you would like to buy it/trade one that will work on my truck.
Old November 5th, 2011, 2:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is that you bought a programmer for a gas truck buddy lol...deisels see way more power out of a programmer than a gas will. I'd say flip it for profit and then contact blackbearperformance or gowheatley for a custom tune...this will really wake up your truck. And if you do any other mods do them before the tune. I'd go intake, exhaust, headers to really give it some power
Old November 6th, 2011, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

those have all been done, except headers. How much of a difference do they make? And ive seen some programmers on gas trucks that were pretty decent. Also those places you mentioned.. do you have to send your computer off?
Old November 6th, 2011, 3:16 PM
Super Moderator

Headers make a huge difference, your truck has very restrictive manifolds and cats stock...get some headers and a y-pipe(unless you need cats, then get some high-flow cats) and then get it tuned. Totally different truck then. Do you have bigger tires than stock?
Old November 7th, 2011, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

I have 285 bfgs up there so they arent too much bigger
Old November 7th, 2011, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator

Ah I ran those exact same tires at one point. Just get the headers and y-pipe and then the tune and you should be set
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

alright. what kinda headers and y pipe should i look into? i see magnaflow has a y pipe for about 30 bucks. does it matter the brand or anything when it comes to that?
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

oh and about the headers, whats better short or full length
Old November 8th, 2011, 2:21 PM
Super Moderator

Generally you get what you pay for...honestly I have looked at headers for your year truck but for mine I just bought pacesetters. Only go full length from what I've been told and read...and only get a y pipe if you plan on keepin a single exhaust and don't need cats for emissions.

I'm gonna get the pacesetter longtubes but keep my stock y-pipe and cats because I have dual exhaust and I need cats for emissions. Just gotta have the headers matched up to my stock exhaust