Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I crashed my truck

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your truck is financed, take it to a reputable body shop and get an estimate from them and from your insurance co. Then let the body shop do the work. Reason being the financial institution is going to want cetification the repairs are done properly. This is the only way that the financial institution has of being certain that they're investment is not in jeprody if you should default on payments. Not saying that you would, just that any bank will want proof the the repairs were properly done.

Not only that but what happens if you do the work and can't get it right? You will have to spend additional money to have any problems straightened out.

Just my 2c.

P.S. I wrote estimates at a body shop in LA for eight years.
Old September 8th, 2009, 2:17 AM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

So what do you think a reasonable estimate is just off of what you see?

The truck is inoperable. I can not take it somewhere. The insurance company is going to take it to their shop to do the work.

Scratch that I was unaware of how this was going to work. What's a good way to find a clean, reputable repair shop? (I don't know any around here)

Deez

Last edited by DeeZ; September 8th, 2009 at 2:17 PM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM
CF Junior Member

If you know anyone that has had bodywork done, ask them. One possible choice is a dealership body shop. When making a choice, check with the better business bureau in your area for negative reports on that shop, bearing in mind that almost any shop will have some negative reports. Ask where you work, you should be able to find someone that has had work done.

Yellow pages in your local phonebook may be a place to start, remembering that a reputable shop that has a good business may have a larger ad budget than a smaller one. Not to knock smaller shops, just saying that these are some ways to start looking.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to agree with most of the others, this vehicle isn't anywhere near totaled, it's actually not that bad, considering your original description. Obviously a lot of labor's gone into the truck over a substantial period of time, so it can't be merely valued at book listing.

Any big 4X4 clubs in your area would probably know a decent repair shop. Tire, car audio, and parts stores may know someone reputable. Or even the guys at the local bar may know a shop that's good with trucks. A big, well known body shop will probably get mentioned by more than one person, Deez.

Last edited by therewolf; September 10th, 2009 at 7:51 PM.
Old September 10th, 2009, 7:33 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Dude that sucks, I guess I missed the thread too. It reminds me of a how a good friend of the family's truck got totaled.

He's now 89 years old and an avid cattle farmer, I've always bought my cattle from him and I don't intend to stop. He had a 98 Dodge WT with a longbox reg cab that he used for everything. He was out in the cow pasture in the winter and was on a two track. This particular two track has a tree in the middle of it that he just goes around. In his old age, he forgot about the tree and was just watching the cattle. he hit it, just like you did at 15mph. Totalled.

Now don't get down, a 98 Dodge WT with 150,000 on the clock and not much paint left is nowhere near as valuable as your truck... But he used it as an excuse to go out and buy a brand new Chevy Work truck.

You're getting a lot of great advice from the guys on here, and always try to see the positive side of things. If you had a few stone chips on the hood, this is a great time to get them fixed!
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
CF Active Member

all that aftermarket suspension, did you buy it like that? or did you get the parts and do it yourself/take it to a shop and had them do it? i would say that if you had a shop do the suspension, take it back to that shop and have them fix the suspension (if they do a good job), then take it to a dealership for fenders or buy new fenders and install them yourself. probably better off at the dealership because they will paint them to match the truck.
Old September 11th, 2009, 1:04 AM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

I bought the truck completely stock, I did everything else myself.

Deez
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Well, today is very sad and f*cking depressing day for me and will be for quite some time.

I just got the call from my insurance company this morning stating that this truck is going to be a total loss. RIP

I don't even know what to say.

Deez
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam, sorry to hear that bud. Is there any way you can remove everything aftermarket that you installed on it? Have you got any second opinions?
Old September 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

I asked about buying the truck back and it depends on the frame damage. If it's deemed unsafe I can't or something to that matter. I didn't catch all the details cause I was too caught up in the fact that I just lost my truck.

Deez

Quick Reply: I crashed my truck