Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I crashed my truck

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that sucks. hopefully they'll let you buy it back. or at least get what you want from it. i still dont see how they could total it. they probably just dont want to spend the money to fix it.
Old September 17th, 2009, 1:32 AM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Whatever the case, I'm left in the gutter right now.

I'm completely depressed, and in a couple days.. completely vehicle-less and unemployed.

Again, I can't begin to explain how I feel.

Deez
Old September 17th, 2009, 6:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't help mentioning that it just seems a little strange to me they won't let you have what's left of your truck back.

That just doesn't make any sense. Why would they care, if their motives were pure?

Here we have an award-winning truck which is obviously above market value, with thousands of dollars of extra work and parts on it, and it's mysteriously totaled in a 15MPH crash,when 4 or 5 posters with pro experience didn't think the damage was that bad.

I felt this way yesterday and didn't post, but there's something wrong going on behind the scenes here, judging by the evidence.

Where is that truck actually going to wind up? Fishy-fishy...
Old September 17th, 2009, 8:04 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

They said they put it up on the frame rack and measured everything electronically and determined from there that the truck needed a new frame.

The insurance compant doesn't want to deal with the time or the money it's going to cost to fix it.

End result, I'm f*cked.

BTW, I never said I couldn't get it back. I don't know what the situation is besides the fact that they totaled it.

Deez
Old September 17th, 2009, 8:47 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who put it on the frame machine? The body shop? Or the insurance estimator? Alot of times a frame can be pulled back straight on a frame machine.
Old September 18th, 2009, 3:08 AM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

The body shop. They said that because of where everything is bent to heat it up and bend it back would make it weaker.

Deez
Old September 18th, 2009, 1:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DeeZ
I asked about buying the truck back and it depends on the frame damage. If it's deemed unsafe I can't or something to that matter. I didn't catch all the details cause I was too caught up in the fact that I just lost my truck.

Deez
My apologies, I misinterpreted this post.

We're with you, man, what happened really sucks.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Well I managed to strip the truck to the friggin bone before it got scrapped. I took EVERYTHING off the truck that I put on. I put the stock parts back on and welded a tube from the frame to the lower control arm to keep it standing on it's own, bought some stock wheels and tires to take my very expensive baja projects and robby gordons, took off other various parts that I put on and sent it away.

I got my settlement offer today. They are going to give me 20k. After I pay off the truck and the deductible I'll be getting a little over 5k in my pocket for a down payment on a new truck.

It stills sucks horribly that this happened and I'm still at a loss here but at least it's not as bad as it could of been. I have everything I need to start on my next project.

Deez
Old September 23rd, 2009, 9:25 AM
Super Moderator

I know I have a lot of labor into my truck which I'd hate to lose, and it's not even a show truck.

Everybody who's lost a vehicle they poured their heart into knows how you feel, DeeZ.

So, what are your plans for the new DeeZ-mobile?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 9:46 AM
CF Active Member

Cool glad to hear you were able to get your parts back. Look on the bright side. You can have a new project truck an we get to see the project from point one.

Quick Reply: I crashed my truck