Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I need a little advice.

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2010, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a little advice.

Good morning all,
I am looking to upgrade my truck. I just got my truck last week and would like to put a programmer in it and an exhust as well.
I have heard that you can't truely dual the exhust out completly. Is this true and if not what is the best muffler to use. I don't want anything really noisey, just something that is a lot more free flowing than the factory stuff.
On the programmer I really have no idea what is available for my truck. I used to have a 2004 Duramax and I had a three stage programmer form Hypertech. I liked the way I could switch between levels of performance, but if i could change anything about it i would like my new one to be able to change on the fly. That is really all I know about the programmer, just my past experience.
Please let me know how to upgrade my truck correctly, because if you do it right the first time you won't have to do it again. Thank you, I value your opinion and experience.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 2:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What knid of truck do you have now? A programmer doesn't do near as much on a gasser. A tune of the computer works best. As for a true dual exhaust, you can do it, as long as you keep your cats, or delete the o2 sensors.
Old February 4th, 2010, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice Nauticstar. Right now I am driving a 2006 Silverado 1500 Z71 crew cab. I have only had it a couple of weeks now and am looking forward to doing some things to it. Could you please explain about the tuning of the computer. Is that something that you buy and do yourself or is that something that a performance shop has to do. If it is something that you can buy do you recomend a certain brand or type of tuner. Thanks again. I need all the help I can get. I have been into diesels for a long time and don't know what advancements have been made in the gas market.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into www.blackbearperformance.com