Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I need some insight

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2011, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need some insight

I have a 2008 Silverado with the 5.3 engine, 3.73 gears, 4X4, Z71 all stock and I am thinking about having the rough country 5" suspension lift installed with 18" wheels and 33 inch tires. I want to know how much mpg I will lose, how my gearing will be effected because I pull a 6000# camper, and if anyone has had any troubles after lifting their truck? Any info anyone can offer is appreciated.
Old January 27th, 2011, 7:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard only good things about rough country so I think you're good there...mpg will probably drop only a little (mine dropped about 2 mpg) and the gearing will be affected but not by much. I can set cruise control and go over hills on the highway at 65 and not downshift. I have 33's and 20's and I still can pull a 20 ft. trailer loaded down with 5 four wheelers and a bed full of stuff no problem.

get a k&n drop in filter, exhaust, and tune and it'll bring that lost power/mpg back
Old January 27th, 2011, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my only advse here is make sure u get tires that can handle the weight of your truck plus a camper or whatever ur towing.. nothing like being on the side of the road loaded down with a blowout or sumthing..
Old January 27th, 2011, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I am really at a loss here because I just got this truck and if I do this it is going to most likely void my factory warranty.
Old January 27th, 2011, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

I am looking at the Kuhmo mud terrain tires or the BF Goodrich mud terrain
Old January 27th, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by blh71
Thanks for the info. I am really at a loss here because I just got this truck and if I do this it is going to most likely void my factory warranty.
Never heard of a suspension lift voiding a warranty.
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM
CF Active Member

You'll need to have your speedo recalibrated the dealer can do it and I think the tire company should be able to do it because it doesn't require equipment that is that expensive. My speedo is off about 6% with the 20 inch tires. This will screw up your fuel economy readings on mileage that your trucks computer gives you.

I don't know what the orignal mileage was on my truck but it has the cool air intake and gets about 12mpg in strick in town driving. I haven't really done a freeway run long enough to figure out highway mileage. I have the 5 inch lift with the 20 inch tires and mag wheels.

Adding a canopy will give you around 2 or 3 mpg and a tonneau will get you maybe a mile or so more. Even removing the tailgate will make a difference.

Oh yah and a 6000 lb camper will ruin your mileage more than anything. Extra weight is a big factor, not to mention however much wind it pushes by sticking up.

Last edited by basilkies; January 27th, 2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: thougt of something else
Old January 29th, 2011, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wmiller1337
Never heard of a suspension lift voiding a warranty.

Yea I talked the service department at the dealership where I bought the truck and they told me that it would void any manufacturing warranty I have on the truck.
Old January 29th, 2011, 6:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by blh71
Yea I talked the service department at the dealership where I bought the truck and they told me that it would void any manufacturing warranty I have on the truck.
Time to find a new dealership. I have worked at a dealership (granted it was a Dodge dealership) and we never turned away a warranty claim because of a lift. Now if it was a suspension related issue, yeah that would be an issue, but it shouldn't interfere with your powertrain warranty.