Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

I'm New Here

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2014, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm New Here

Hi everyone I'm new here as of this morning. I've got a '98 Silverado with the 350/4L60E combo in it. Got a few questions that I'm hoping to get answered without taking it to a shop right away. The truck is all original (I believe) and has 140,000 miles on the clock. Bought it 7 and a half months ago from a dealer who had it "serviced" by a shade tree mechanic and they have minimal records for what was done to it prior to me.

So first off is the transmission. Got a few questions here.

- On 2 occasions, I've put it into reverse, but the RPM's don't change and the truck doesnt move. But every other time I shift into reverse (it's my daily driver), it works fine. Why?
- Many times I find that the truck will automatically shift into passing gear on flat level road even if I don't press harder on the gas pedal. The RPM's jump up by about 500 when this happens. Suggestions here?
- Delayed shifts...occasionally. SOMETIMES it hesitates between shifts. Specifically off the 2nd gear into 3rd gear shift. You hear the engine rev but the truck doesnt shift right away. It will shift eventually, it just takes longer.

All of the above issues are intermittent. Does not matter if it's warm or cold outside, does not matter if it has been sitting all day or if I've been driving all day either. I think the trans needs to be replaced. My dad says its solenoids in it that are going out. Obviously solenoids are a much cheaper fix than buying a trans so I'm trying to figure out what I actually need to replace.

------But wait there's more!! -------

Let's go to the engine now. Here's what I got...any shedding of light would be appreciated.

- Smells like coolant. Did since I brought it home 7 months ago. I'm guesing intake seals? Also smells like coolant when the heat is on. Heater core leak maybe?
- Oil pressure is wavy. I know the troubleshooting here of installing a mechanical gauge. Still need to do that (too cold right now...9 whole degrees here in Wi!). When cold, the truck supposedly has 60 psi. once warmed up at idle, 40ish. Same while driving. Occasionally at a red light, I'll see that I'm idling at 20 psi, then it'll jump up to 40 as soon as I tap the gas. Guessing that's normal? Or maybe my sending unit is going bad?
- Down on power. Used to be snappy of the line and could chirp the tires if I hit the gas too hard. Now it barely will get out of its own way. It got a tune up when I bought it and new injectors. I checked the cats with a temp gun as per recommendation from my dad and found that they are at least 100 degrees at the back than at the front on both sides. Also overall exhaust pipe temps are higher on one side than on the other by about 100 degrees. Not sure what this new recent lack of power could be from.

Well sorry for the huge post. But I need to know what to look at replacing before winter fully sets in. I'm not made of money so I gotta make the best of what I've got without wasting money (if that makes sense). Thanks for the help in advance.
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the fuel and transmission filters.

Allan
Old November 15th, 2014, 6:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A possible reason for the fluctuation in engine speed by 500 RPMs is the torque converter locking up or unlocking. Just a guess; but I would believe that to be one of the things that could be happening.