Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Instrument Panel Lights

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2007 | 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Instrument Panel Lights

Hi - 2003 Silverado here. One bulb is out in the dashboard instrument panel, and one also is out on the temperature selector. The dealer is telling me that they would have to replace the entire instrument panel to fix, as the bulbs are 'soldered in'. Is this true? Will it really cost me $500+ to fix two bulbs?
Thanks for any help!
Old November 9th, 2007 | 11:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Instrument Panel Lights

I can't say for sure, because I've never had a silverado instrument cluster out of the dash, but I can say from experience that most late modelvehicles don't have ordinary light bulbs in the instrument cluster. Generally you will find LED's inbedded into the circuit board. Thatmight be whythe entire assembly would have to be replaced.
Old November 9th, 2007 | 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

That's retarded. I would find out what kind of bulb or led it is and solder it in or have someone do it for you. The dealer would probably have it for a week.
Old November 10th, 2007 | 6:37 PM
CF Junior Member

This is true. When I worked at a car dealership and we had to replace an instrument cluster we usually had the car for at least 4 days. The reasoning for this is the odometer is part of the instrument cluster. So these clusters need to be special ordered with the correct milage programmed into them. The dealer keeps the vehicle and parks it so the owner cannot drive the car miles that obviously wouldn't show up on the new cluster. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll just be regular light bulbs that you can replace.
Old November 10th, 2007 | 8:32 PM
CF Veteran

They 03s are soldered in. You can buy the SS version for WAY less on E-bay and upgradeto the white facegauges at the same time. (a little something exta for your effort and cash) The one seller even offers to set the mileage for you before shipping the new part.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...QQcmdZViewItem

free programming one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...QQcmdZViewItem

both are about $240
Old November 10th, 2007 | 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info, everyone. Looks like I'll be ordering the SS cluster.