Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

intermittent cranking

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up intermittent cranking

I have a good one for you guys today. I have an 01 silverado LS 5.3L. Problem is an intermittent cranking issue I can't seem to figure out. This happens when the engine has been off but the outside temp has no effect. I'll turn the key to start and nothing happens except for the security light and engine light stay on. I can hold it there for 30 seconds and then it sometimes will turn over. Other times I"ll take the key out and start over again. While in the start position I have tried jiggling the key, moving the shift lever,tapping the brake. None seem to help. I have had a shop replace the ignition cylinder and ignition switch, but still has problem. The battery is good and the cables are tight. I even removed the starter to check the connections and is good. I don't know much about the passlock system but I think it may be the problem. Only other parts I can think of is the starter has a bad internal wire or a problem in the computer. Any ideas would be appreciated as I can not afford to bring it back to a shop for another misdiagnosis. Thanks.
Old April 1st, 2010, 1:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe starter relay. it's in the fuse/relay box under hood.
Old April 1st, 2010, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent crank

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I swapped the relay with the hdlp relay, well see what happens. thanks for the idea.