Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban not cranking after dead battery

Old September 11th, 2009, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban not cranking after dead battery

Hello All,

I just registered with the Chevrolet Forum, so this is my first post. Hopefully someone can help. This past weekend I took the family to the drive-in. We were listening to the movie through the suburban's radio. About 3/4 through the movie the radio went dead. At the same time the led's for the radio and ventilation dash started flashing on and off. We also heard some relays clicking behind the dash. I figured the battery died. Sure enough when I went to start the car nothing happened. Interesting to note that dash idiot lights didn't go on instantly either. They would light up after a few moments with the ignition in the on position. We tried to jump the car but having a jump did nothing to change the situation. I thought the battery must have shorted out. I bought a new battery, installed it, and still nothing. With the new battery the interior lights still don't come on. The starter/starter relay doesn't even make a click. The headlights come on, but the daytime running lights aren't on. I disconnected the battery and let it sit disconnected for 1/2 hour and reconnected. About the only difference I noticed is that the dash idiot lights now turn on as soon as you turn the key to on. Other than that, everything else stayed the same. Any ideas what could be wrong? Also I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and also behind the dash. I also checked the ground wires and the connection of the 2 cables coming off the mega fuse on the firewall. Power is definitely coming off the mega fuse into the starter and also the fuse box in the engine bay. For some reason it isn't going where it needs to go on some of the circuits. Could it be some sort of theft device that needs to be reset due to the dead battery?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich
Old September 11th, 2009, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the battery is connected to the terminals correctly, tight & the fuses are good, the only thing I can think of is a problem in the vehicles computer.

Welcome to the forum, I am sure someone here will chime in with more knowledge of your specific vehicle.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default truck

an 07? it should be under the 3/36 warrenty, call the dealer, let them deal w/it...

if you have the sat nav system you can turn of the display to save battery

if you hit the drive in often, buy an optima yellow top or red top. I have had great success with a red top in my last tahoe.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

It has 50K miles so it's out of warranty.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Doesnt the dealer give you 5 yr. 60,000, mine did and it wasnt an extended warranty. They are giving 100,000 mi warrantys for purchases now I hear. Or maybe its just where you buy it.
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
CF Active Member

I had lots of weird electrical issues following the second of 2 battery rundowns. A reflash of the BCM (Body Control Module) cured it. I'm all but convinced that in my case jump starting it was the cause of the apparent scrambling of its brains.

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; September 11th, 2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old September 12th, 2009, 6:49 AM
CF Junior Member

The warranties are:

3/36 Bumper to Bumper
5/100 Powertrain
6/100 Rust
5/100 Roadside assistance
Old September 12th, 2009, 9:12 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

That problem should fall under the powertrain warranty right?
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

I would assume powertrain to be engine, transmission, differentials etc. This is an electrical issue which would fall under bumper to bumper. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old September 12th, 2009, 1:19 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I am sure someone here will verify that, I am not 100% sure but it does have something to do with the engine(powertrain system) not working, not like a radio being broken or something like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Suburban not cranking after dead battery