Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2011, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starting

I have a 2003 silverado ext. cab, 5.3L 2WD with approx 82k miles on it. A few months ago I got in it and it would not start. A friend gave me a jump and that did not get it started. Five minutes later i hit the key again and it started right up. It may go 2-3 days without out any problems or sometimes a month or so. The battery, starter, all fuses, all battery cables and terminals are fine. All the dummy lights in the dash work but it seems like the starter is not getting power. Sometimes i can turn the key10-15 times and then it will start. Last night it left me hanging for 4 hours before it would start. I have read upteen posts on multiple forums about this and no one seems to know how to fix it. I would really appreciate any insight on this you can give me.

Thanks In Advance!!!!
Old February 27th, 2011, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Could be a bad ignition switch.
Old February 27th, 2011, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks!! I think I will try that now if the truck starts and I can get to the parts store!!!

I also fogot to mention that in the dash cluster the fuel gauge bounces from way over full to anywhere it wants and sometimes the RPM guage shows zero rpms at times,,, but i'm pretty sure I can replace the cluster and fix that problem,,,, but i'm not sure if the two problems are connected in anyway or not or even if they could have any bearing on each other.

-Big Daddy
Old February 27th, 2011, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

New ignition switch is in. When clicking the key forward twice right before you push it forward to start is fine,,, when turning forward to start it does not seem like it travels as far forward now and does not start generally on the first turn forward (i tried it like 20 times),,, but so far has started the 2nd time I turn it forward,,, so I'm not really sure if it is fixed or not.........:-(
Old February 28th, 2011, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Truck now seems like the timing is off, is real hard to start cranking for up to 8-9
Seconds before barely sputtering to life now........! It has always started fine before
NEVER started like this EVER, and all I did was change the ignition switch.!????
Old March 4th, 2011, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Bad grounds will really mess with you, just for giggles try hooking a jumper from your block to a body bolt, or the frame, if its a ground problem with the engine it should help things. then you would just have to find the real ground and see whats going on
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Seems your having fuel pump problems. If pump is not holding pressure will get long crank times. Need to check fuel pressure 60 to 65 psi ,and hold steady.
If pressure is off by a few psi hard to start or no start.