Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Issue with Driverside Front During Braking

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2012, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Driverside Front During Braking

Hello All! I hope I am in the correct thread with this post. I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado Z71, 4WD, Extended Cab, 5.3L.

About a year ago I was driving in some icy/snowy conditions and went to turn. Well even though my wheels were turned, my truck kept going forward. I am a firefighter and was in route to a call and probably driving too fast. Anyway, I hit a side walk curb on the front driver's side wheel and basically bent my lower a-arm and busted the wheel itself. After about $1000 I had a new wheel and a-arm. Everything was good for a couple of weeks but then I started to notice my brakes, only on that wheel, started grinding. Looking at the rotor I could see a little bit of excessive wear so I took it to Midas and had them take a look at it. After leaving it there for a day they said that from what they could tell there was nothing wrong. Even though I knew they were wrong I went on about my business hoping that they were right. Well I could only take it for so long and then I took it to a non-chain mechanic in my town. They decided to replace all of the rotors and brake pads. Well that fixed it for about 2 weeks and then I started noticing it again. So I took it back to them. They said the "brakepad hardware needed adjustment"...whatever...so they did that and it did make it better for a short time. Then again it came back. I took it back to them 3 or 4 times and it would fix it for a couple days and then nothing. Finally I got tired of it and sort of gave up.

-The grinding almost sounds like a wheel bearing but I believe that is not an option as it only does it when I brake.
- I have tried having my wife drive it very slowly and I walk beside it and listen, the grinding only happens at one point in the tires rotation. Quiet...then grind...then quiet...then grind...
- The grinding does not happen when braking in reverse....dont get that.

That is about all I have. Sorry for the long story but I figured it was essential in explaining the situation. Please help!!!
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

When the a-arm was replaced, was the axle and bearings also replaced? Sounds like there could be an issue with something slightly bent or damaged.
Old July 19th, 2012, 2:34 PM
CF Active Member

What did the brake pads look like? Compare the left and right side pads. Also compare the inner to the outer pads. If all four pads look good, then your brakes are probably fine. But if you notice excessive wear on any of the pads, then there may be a problem. Let us know which pads are excessively worn as we can possibly point you in the right direction.

Also, the hub may not be a bad place to look. Although you hear the sound when you are braking, remember when slowing down a vehicle, the brakes generate heat. This, coupled with the added stress on the hub while slowing down, my be manifesting a bad hub to the point that you can hear it.

Hope this helps

Eric
Old July 19th, 2012, 6:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first thought is that the brake caliper is sticking. This could be the piston sticking (replace caliper) or the slider bolts sticking (lube the 2 caliper mounting bolts) or the brake line to the caliper is swelling shut (replace line).
Old July 19th, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by spyncycle
My first thought is that the brake caliper is sticking. This could be the piston sticking (replace caliper) or the slider bolts sticking (lube the 2 caliper mounting bolts) or the brake line to the caliper is swelling shut (replace line).
Spyncycle, these are the same things I was thinking. A review of the brake pads will determine exactly which issue it is. Amazing how great minds think alike
Old July 20th, 2012, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
When the a-arm was replaced, was the axle and bearings also replaced? Sounds like there could be an issue with something slightly bent or damaged.
No, only the a-arm and the rim.

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
What did the brake pads look like? Compare the left and right side pads. Also compare the inner to the outer pads. If all four pads look good, then your brakes are probably fine. But if you notice excessive wear on any of the pads, then there may be a problem. Let us know which pads are excessively worn as we can possibly point you in the right direction.

Also, the hub may not be a bad place to look. Although you hear the sound when you are braking, remember when slowing down a vehicle, the brakes generate heat. This, coupled with the added stress on the hub while slowing down, my be manifesting a bad hub to the point that you can hear it.

Hope this helps

Eric
I didnt get to see the old pads and I havent had a chance to look at them since. I will get back to you once I do. I will keep the hub as a viable option.

Originally Posted by spyncycle

I will also look into these options. Me and a buddy plan to get it up on a lift and take a close look at everything pretty soon. I will get back to you all. Thanks for the responses.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Pics are always nice