Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Jerky movement when shifting a 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2009, 3:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Jerky movement when shifting a 5 speed

Hi all,

My truck "jerks" after I've shifted gears and the clutch is out. Either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3 and so on.
It feels like the bushings to the leaf springs are soft and the diff wants to keep going around. It's been doing this since I bought it and never really paid attention to it but it's starting to get a bit worse.

The previous owner used to have a camper on it.

Is there a known issue for manual transmission trucks? Could it be in the transfer case?

Those of you about to ask about my driving abilities....I used to drive semi's for a living and am a qualified driver instructor. So plz refrain from those comments

Any help and suggestions will be greatly apreciated.
Old September 10th, 2009, 6:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jiggsy
Hi all,

My truck "jerks" after I've shifted gears and the clutch is out. Either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3 and so on.
It feels like the bushings to the leaf springs are soft and the diff wants to keep going around. It's been doing this since I bought it and never really paid attention to it but it's starting to get a bit worse.

The previous owner used to have a camper on it.

Is there a known issue for manual transmission trucks? Could it be in the transfer case?

Those of you about to ask about my driving abilities....I used to drive semi's for a living and am a qualified driver instructor. So plz refrain from those comments

Any help and suggestions will be greatly apreciated.
you wont get no bad comments here my friend...but some questions

what year truck are you rolling?what t-case etc...im assuming the tranny is in the nv family...yes when trailers are on as you know it puts alot of wear on rearends,bushings,trans,etc......
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check check your transfer case/ tranny mount, it could be loose, I had a guy bring a semi tractor in for a service and he wanted me to check the fifth wheel cause the truck jerked around, while checking u-joints i noticed i could move the front drive axle alot by hand because the torque arm bushings were gone, it really jerked while bobtailling
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Won't cost nuthin' to take a close look at your U-joints, trailering heavy loads tends to tear them up.

Count yourself lucky if it is the U-joints, all things considered, they're cheap.

Just grab the driveshaft and give it a rigorous twist and shake to see if there's any free play.

Last edited by therewolf; September 11th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanx for the replies.

The truck is a 2000, 1500 silverado regular cab,4X4.
It's got the 4.8l Vortec with the 5 speed.

I don't know for sure what the model numbers of the tranny and transfer case are.
Are they written somewhere?

As far as the U-joints, I did indeed check all of them. The truck was off it's wheels. There doesn't seem to be any looseness.

If the tranny mounts were loose, wouldn't I see the stick shift "move" alot when I accelerate/slow down?

The truck didn't tow any trailers, it was an inbox camper that the previous owner used.

Thanks a bunch !!!!
Old September 29th, 2009, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

The first thing I would check is the U-joint and slip yoke. Shifting into any gear and a jerk occurs could definately be a bad U-joint or slip yoke.

I don't think it would be your trans mounts. If it was you would be having a hard time shifting ino certain gears.