Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

K & N Filter

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2009, 1:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, it seems like everybody's looking for the "magic shortcut". There's no easy way to increase MPG. Most of it is subtle mods which give 1MPG or less at a time. Fortunately, they usually stack to produce a considerable overall improvement. The most valuable MPG improvement tool is a light foot on the throttle.

Visit Ecomodders.com, you can see 3-5 MPG tomorrow with their "100 tips to improve gas economy"-it's free, and it's a real eye-opener.

I like my K&N CAI. It's good, it's a great system. But that only goes so far, and has to be recognized as such.
Old March 24th, 2009, 3:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree. If you practice hypermiling, you can get much better mileage. You won't get anywhere quick though. lol

Back in October, I hypermiled to the beach and back (108 miles) running 60-65 mostly all the way, with one stop coming and going. Got 26.1 MPG in my Blazer. Thats normally UNHEARD OF for the 4.3. I put in a grand total of 285 miles with the riding around I did when I got there. 285 miles on a little less than 11 gallons.
I do have a Bully Dog Power Pup programmer, a CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, roof rack removed, and I was running premium gas. The ambient outdoor temp was between 75 and 80 all the way, so no need for A/C. Just rode with all windows open less than halfway.

I usually get 16-18 mpg driving to the college and back (30 mile round trip.)

Last edited by EvansBlue; March 24th, 2009 at 3:52 PM.
Old March 24th, 2009, 5:33 PM
Super Moderator

Believe it or not, the A/C would have taken less gas than the drag created by the open windows.

I've done this both ways to Va. in a comparatively aerodynamic Buick, and the A/C took less.
Old March 24th, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Just rode with all windows open less than halfway.

There was a Mythbusters episode where they confirmed that running with the windows down is better than with the A/C on...
They used off-the-lot V6 Ford Explorers. A Buick of any kind doesn't come close to the aerodynamic similarity between a Blazer and an Explorer.

But thats a WHOLE new can of worms.
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure? I thought they proved having the windows down was not good for driving anymore than around the city. I'm pretty sure they said to just use the a/c when on the highway and if you're in the city then the windows down would be better. Kinda like the tailgate down or up thing.
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Windows up, windows down... who cares?

The answer to the K&N getting better MPG. I bought mine for better performance to include MPG, but I also purchased a programmer to help and so far I've filled it full of high octane pragrammed it for high performance and noticed that i no longer watch the gas needle, cause I'm glued to the tach with a grin on my face.

And if you ask me I don't think the BIG 3 have sh*% to do with aftermarket parts... according to my personal findings I think that the lobbist for oil companies are keeping people like K&N from losing out to the BIG 3...They got more pull and thanks to my new K&N and programmer I DO TOO!
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Evans Blue,
You compared that fine Blazer of yours to a FORD?-Oh,ick,ow,ew,ptui,ptui!! How can you even consider putting that next to an Exploder?

You may be right, I know with the wedge-shaped cars that A/C is more efficient than having your windows down.

Try it both ways before you decide. It's been my experience that Mythbusters aren't always as foolproof as they seem. But the show rocks anyway. A lot of fun to watch.

As for choosing between the K&N CAI and my programmer, I'd throw that programmer in the river without a second's hesitation. I lost a lot of bottom end power when I went to 342 gears. On the few occasions when I need that power back, that K&N CAI does the job, and then some.

Last edited by therewolf; March 25th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.