Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

K & N Filter

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2009, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N Filter

Ok...I have wondered this for years...

I have always put K&N Filters in my vehicles. Everyone says you get a few HP and better mileage. My doubt lies in the mileage department. The last truck I added a K&N to was a 2007 Dodge Ram with a 4.7 V-8. The mileage immediatly dropped 1.5 mpg. It seems to me that when you add more air the computer will add more fuel to compensate, thus lower mpg but more power. With CAFE laws always hammering the manufacturers, if an air filter bumped up your MPG, why couldn't the Big 3 put them in at the factory and be able to use that better MPG to their benefit?
I mean the reality is that the Big 3 are always looking to gain an extra 1/2 mpg...

Anyone got any insight???
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Its just one aspect of cutting costs. A paper media filter might not cost but $2, whereas on some vehicles, cotton media filters would cost $20
Save $18 each on 1 million vehicles... $18million

Also its to help companies like K&N and Airraid. If everyone had a factory cold air intake, then how would they sell thier product. There is legislature in every area to protect a niche in the market.
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Short answer is a CAI will decrease mileage. I have a K&N CAI, I know. I appreciate the additional revs and horsepower when I need it, but if you get careless, it can cost you a lot of mileage.

I cannot say whether just the K&N filters influence mileage either way.
Old March 15th, 2009, 6:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Its just one aspect of cutting costs. A paper media filter might not cost but $2, whereas on some vehicles, cotton media filters would cost $20
Save $18 each on 1 million vehicles... $18million

Also its to help companies like K&N and Airraid. If everyone had a factory cold air intake, then how would they sell thier product. There is legislature in every area to protect a niche in the market.
18 million is a drop in the bucket if it saved them 1 mpg on each vehicle sold. And GM, Ford and Dodge dont give a hoot about aftermarket companies. the big 3 can afford way better lobby folk that the aftermarket folks. The other posted answer states what I have suspected CAIs give you power but hurt your mileage.
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe I am one of the few that have seen an inprovement after installing a CAI. I was getting 15mpg average (highway) and after installing a S&B CAI and a Flowmaster catback system I started getting 16.5 avg. Go figure.
Old March 16th, 2009, 7:22 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by texascop2
18 million is a drop in the bucket if it saved them 1 mpg on each vehicle sold. And GM, Ford and Dodge dont give a hoot about aftermarket companies. the big 3 can afford way better lobby folk that the aftermarket folks. The other posted answer states what I have suspected CAIs give you power but hurt your mileage.
I'm just throwing a number out there... a performance filter may cost more than that.

If there were no laws protecting the aftermarket industry, then the automakers would have forced them out of business.
Old March 17th, 2009, 2:52 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm just throwing a number out there... a performance filter may cost more than that.

If there were no laws protecting the aftermarket industry, then the automakers would have forced them out of business.
Hmmmmm...I guess you would have to show me what laws those would be. Why would the big 3 want the aftermarket companies out of business. They have a very symbiotic relationship.
Coke and Pepsi are big, but there are lots of other smaller companies in that market.
Same in the beer market.....
I could go on and on but you get my point.

Fact is that the aftermarket world is a specialized market. The big 3 are in the car building business, not the car customizing business.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad there are alot of aftermarket companies out there...I buy lots of their products, I just like to keep the claims they make realistic.
What started this thread was a K&N question. After some research, even K&N doesn't claim in ANY of their advertising that the use of their products increase fuel economy. I am sure they would love to make the claim, they just know that no science would back it up.
Old March 21st, 2009, 8:59 PM
CF Active Member

It's all about price. One mile a gallon increase doesn't mean anything to the car companies. They don't have to pay for the mile per gallon decrease. They would have to pay for the increased price of filters, however. The paper filters are very cheap and the k and n filters are not. Why don't they put a high performance sound system in every vehicle, cost. Why don't they put a turbo on all their vehicles when it's pretty much free power? Cost. It is, indeed, about cost. And only cost. They want to make the cheapest vehicle possible that is still up to the standards and make the greatest profit possible. When you think the paper filters might cost them $2 but a cotton-oil-dripper-maf-clogger-filter is $25 for them to produce, the numbers quickly add up.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
CF Monarch

And little old Mrs. Abernaffy wouldn't know what to do to clean a K&N filter..
Old March 22nd, 2009, 1:43 AM
CF Junior Member

And little old Mrs. Abernaffy wouldn't know what to do to clean a K&N filter..
I think the big 3 look at that as a positive. they intentionally make as many parts as they can that require dealership servicing. whether you are 8 or 80 they dont want you working on your own car...

but the cost is not a factor for the manufacturers in this case. they spend hundreds of millions in research to get 1 or 2 mpg more out of a car.....i.e. many models now come with mobil 1 oil which cost 4 or 5 times as much, but they feel it is a superior product.

i love k & N and have used many of their air filters in many vehicles,and it is proven that they help with more ponies, but not more mpgs under normal circumstances.

Quick Reply: K & N Filter