Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 6:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

KN Oil/Air filter and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KN Oil/Air filter and gas mileage

I have a 2009 Silverado ext cab 5.3L/2WD. Currently getting 20 hwy, but only 13 city and I'm pretty light on the pedal in the city. My father in law has a Ford F-150 Crew cab 4X4 and swears that when he switched to KN oil and air filters his mpg got a 2mpg bump.

Has anyone had any experience with KN filters and have you noticed a change in mileage?
Old May 4th, 2009, 8:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i BELIEVE i have about mile per gallon better mpg with K&N air filter. so does everyone else. you buy something, you have to believe in it, or it makes you stupid if it does not work.
all i know, is that CAI things will drop your mpg period. have this proven on 2 cars, Honda and Silvie.
as of oil filter??????? how in the world will oil filter help with gas mileage? miracles?
switch to synth oil, THAT will help. everything just has less friction. but filter? btw, that filter is no better or worse than M1 filter. i have that info 1st hand from a guy who gutted every filter on the market to find out betters and worses. so no, Fram - no way. Purolator is about 3rd best. you can't get 1st best, it's for japan only. 2nd place are M1 and K&N. besides, K&N is handy to remove with that big nut on it.
Old May 4th, 2009, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator

I use a K&N oil filter no improved gas mileage.. CAI yes better gas mileage not much though... Now i have heard guys say that by switching to amsoil everything they got better gas mileage but i dont beleive this
Old May 4th, 2009, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
all i know, is that CAI things will drop your mpg period. have this proven on 2 cars, Honda and Silvie.
My 03 silverado is designed with CAI stock ,just had a silencer. Once I put my intake on it gets about 1MPG better. I was only out for looks and sound though, not extra power.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 4th, 2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 4th, 2009, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator

there is a better sound with CAI intake????????
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem that occurs when someone gets something like an exhaust or a CAI or any thing that is performance minded, is their foot gets heavier. I know that is the worst problem. It happened to me when I got my new muffler, just like the sound too much. So I could see 1 or two from an intake or exhaust or both in conjunction. I do think a lot of peformance addons could help gas mileage, but it only helps if you make your foot go on a diet.

And I have heard more sound from a CAI on a vehicle I had, I don't know if it's the air filter or it's the tubing that makes the noise. It's kind of a whooshing sound, but it's harder than that to explain.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

My foot is always heavy during the summer something about going by ford ranger drivers who think there truck is bad because they have 4 ich body lift and a NOS sticker makes me want to rev my truck up.....
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
there is a better sound with CAI intake????????
I like the way my 6.0 sounds, it may be different on other models. Its not loud and annoying just a little more grrrrrrrrrr. I hear the plastic intake tubes make that humming sound, mines alumnium .I dont have EGR either, my model is not california certified,Only has 3 emission sensor systems, My Tahoe has 8, but had no problem registering it. Bought it in Texas.

98White5.0, your right about that foot diet thing in my mind. Every once in a while my bro in law and I after playing hockey will go drag down a deserted street to show off a little, he has a ford f 250, I always get the lead up to 60 MPH thats where we let off, and he has a programmer, but other than that I just drive my kids around all day and use the cruise control.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 5th, 2009 at 1:02 AM.
Old May 5th, 2009, 5:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've also got a 6.0, with a K&N CAI. While I can't specifically argue it gives better horsepower, I can say it definitely gets you into high revs much faster than stock air intakes.

Personally, after looking at the OEM junk I removed when I installed my CAI,I prefer it to stock on looks alone. I have to agree there's a slight decrease in gas mileage with a CAI, which is aggravated by a lead foot.I find I can clean, rather than replace, my air filter now, an annual savings of about 36$.

I'll be switching to AMSOIL soon. Hrah, the battles which will ensue then! I do enough traveling to be able to give an accurate and objective report on the gas economy benefits of synthetic oil.
Old May 5th, 2009, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator

i use synthetic quaker state 4x4 torque and power and i love it!!! I also use amsoil syncromesh transmission fluid in my 5 speed