Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Light switch wiring harness (special att for DRL and fog lights questions)

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2010, 9:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light switch wiring harness (special att for DRL and fog lights questions)

I had recently installed the DIC buttons on my 08 Silverado. In doing so, I had to get to the wiring harness for the headlights (not necessary for the DIC button installation, THAT was very easy). However, I got this great idea of trying to determine how the DRLs are deactivated. I got to messing with the wiring harness that plugs into the headlight control ****. The wires that control the DRLs, headlamps, parking lamps, fog lamps, and highbeams are ALL ground activated (ie the switch uses a short to ground to activate the above mentioned items). The DRLs are pulse activated. Which means that a quick touch to a ground wire turns them on and off. When I jumped a ground wire to the DRLs wire (keeping a ground to the circuit), the DRLs remained off. A check of the system however, revealed this deactivated my high beams and I was unable to turn them on.

So for those of you that want to permanently disable the DRLs, I don't believe it is possible unless you rewire the low beam lights (DRLs on 08 Silverado uses low beam light at reduced power) and have them only come on with the switch (WAY TO MUCH WORK).

Side note, during my testing procedure, I was able to activate the fog lamp light in my dash board (my truck does not have fog lamps). Again this was activated by placing a ground wire to one of the wires in the wiring harness. I can't remember if this was a pulse or constant switch. But I imagine if I wanted to wire in factory fog lamps (which I don't, so I don't plan on pursuing this area further) you should be able to plug into this harness. I am guessing that a head lamp controller with fog lamp controls would be the best bet, but you should be able to jump into the circuit if you used another switch or lights. Just be sure to check and see if it was a pulse or constant activation.

During this testing procedure, I utilized a voltmeter and test light. I would STRONGLY SUGGEST NOT using a piece of wire to copy the above mentioned probing. If you incidentally touch a ground to a hot, you will probably blow a fuse, if not a circuit somewhere.

Hope this helps someone.

Eric