Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Longer Oil Filter for 07 Chevy Silverado Classic 4.3

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer Oil Filter for 07 Chevy Silverado Classic 4.3

Hey Everyone!

Im new to the forum however i have a question that im hoping someone can help me with. I have the 4.3 Vortec Engine in my new 07 Silverado Classic and i want to put a longer filter on it. I currently use Castrol Syntec because thats what GM put in it from the factory and i didnt want to change that, but i feel that the filter is WAY TOO SMALL! I currently use the Mobil 1 ML 101 filter and i want to know if anyone knows how to convert that over to a longer mobil 1? Any ideas?
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Longer Oil Filter for 07 Chevy Silverado Classic 4.3

Who told you that GM put Castrol Syntec in your 4.3L from the factory? They were pulling your leg. The 1st issue is Syntec is synthetic oil( or a blend if it is Syntec Blend )and your V6 definitely did not come with synthetic oil nor a synthetic blend oil. It came with conventional oil.

Not sure whoGM buys their oil from right now? Last I had heard it was Mobil( both regular and synthetic for the performance vehicles )but I am not 100% sure on that so don't take it as gospel. Castrol may be providing GM withtheir conventional oilnowbut it isn't Syntec in there THAT I can guarantee. It would be regular oil like their GTX.

EDIT - looks like it wouldn't even be GTX as that oil has recently been removed from the approved GM6094M oil lists for failing to meet it. GTX was reformulated and when GM did some testing of oils on their approved list to make sure they still met the standard GTX apparantly did not.

As to the filter. The stock one should be a PF47. There is a longer filter that was used a while ago for some vehicles with the 4.3L V6. That would be a PF52. Not sure if AC still makes it or not? If not most aftermarket mfg's do so it should be no problem finding it. The Mobil 1 part # is M1-201 for that filter.

The PF52 uses the same 18X1.5MM thread and basically has the same spec's( slightly better filtration rate )as the PF47 which your truck uses. The gasket diamter is the same which is the important part. As long as you have the room to fit it in there it should work. Just remember it will mean adding a little more oil. Not much but some.
Old August 28th, 2007, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Independent lab tests confirmed that Castrol GTX does meet the GM6094M spec. Subsequently, Castrol GTX was reinstated on the "approved" list for GM on August 8th.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

After all the research GM has done on designing the engine and all it's components, I would not think you can out do them in that department. They want the best just like all owners do. Independant test have shown that Purolater filters do a very good job, and no I do not work for Purolater, only a loyal customer.
Mel