Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

A Longing Gaze at the Good Old Days...

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2009 | 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default A Longing Gaze at the Good Old Days...

As I bring my 04 Silverado past it's expired warranty and read the horror stories about the new systems which break down at insane cost,(900$ for ONE PART of an A/C system for example) prematurely(08 brakes where the dealer cut the rotors and didn't install new pads?)wearing systems which we used to get 4-5 years from, TPMs which seem to cause no end of aggravation to the end user, just to tell the driver his tire pressure,etc.

My point is, I thought,(this being my first entirely NEW vehicle) that I would be in control of far more of the mechanical condition of my truck.But as I go further on, I realize with regret that GM's gone further and further out of it's way to make ANY private maintenance plan by the private owner of a new truck damn near impossible. Especially with OBD II (in it's current configuration) and many of the NBS "improvements".

What I've been considering, (since GM's made such a blatant point of fouling the nest) is procuring an older vehicle and "going retro". I don't know what anybody else's needs are, but as long as I've got a truck that meets my work needs, has comfortable seats, air conditioning, and a jammin' audio system, all this other glitzy crap is just that.

In days of old,
When guys were bold,
And OBD wasn't invented,
They installed gauges,
Wrenched Chilton's pages,
And drove away contented...

Some of you out there with older trucks, IMO, should consider fixing them up and keeping them. I'd love to hear ideas and opinions of those who have had experience with pre-90s Chevy pickups.

What year truck do all of you think is overall best?

Last edited by therewolf; September 21st, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old September 21st, 2009 | 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

1989 Chevy 1500 Silverado. I does have a computer, but the 320,000miles not 1 electrical problem, rebuilt the engine at around 300,000. Freaking reliable., did everything myself at 16. I'd still own it, but I'm still young enough that I know everything, starting to realize I don't. LOL
Old September 21st, 2009 | 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Thats funny rivereye, I had the same conversation with my step dad yesterday, He said " I thought the vacuum lines were confusing, then they replace everything with wires,sensors & computers, they just dont make them like they used to"

OBD= repairs Owned By Dealership, in my mind. But I wont let the wave of change get me, thats half the reason I am here, learning the new generation of vehicles.
Old September 21st, 2009 | 10:08 PM
CF Active Member

this whole thing of older trucks has been going through my head recently, what i wouldn't give to have my 79 k20 back, more reliable than gravity and more simple than a claw hammer, think i'm gonna start to shed a tear
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 6:09 PM
CF Junior Member

This is one of the reasons I love my '96 Dodge 12valver. Open the hood and the wires you see are mostly for controlling trans. Other than starter, alternator and shut down solenoid, engine is all mechanical. No distributor, coil, plug wires, plugs, carburetor, electric fuel pump, electronic fuel injection, O2 sensors or any of the other problems I've seen with the '97 Burb or other gas vehicles I've owned.
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I got a 2008 silverado. its been hp tuned, head job, 2500 stall, 125 shot of nitrous. cold air and dual exhaust. Its 4 wheel drive and i get 20 mpg. aint no truck from the past gonna get that with a v8. so i have to say the new trucks are much better than the old ones. I do all my own mechanic work. the new trucks are just as easy to work on as the old ones as long as you know what ur doin.
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 9:01 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by silverado08
the new trucks are just as easy to work on as the old ones as long as you know what ur doing.
True, they are like legos now, but you dont get the power you can really get out of todays motors without programming them.
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 9:31 PM
CF Active Member

i dont really have a problem buying a new truck, but ill always baby my 90 k1500 over any other vehicle (minus a 70 chevelle). i was even looking at a new silverado WT. i personally wouldnt care if it gets messed up. my 90 is my baby. i dont like all the new stuff now days. all that nav in the dash, sensors for the dumbest things. etc.
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 9:55 PM
CF Junior Member

I know all about all the stupid sensors. on my truck i have turned off several sensors like the back oxygen sensors and tps senors and gas tank pressure sensor. by turning them off i don't have to worry about them breaking cuz they are already nonfunctioning.
I do like all the technology like onstar, navigation, satellite radio, and satellite phone.
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by silverado08
I got a 2008 silverado. its been hp tuned, head job, 2500 stall, 125 shot of nitrous. cold air and dual exhaust. Its 4 wheel drive and i get 20 mpg. aint no truck from the past gonna get that with a v8. so i have to say the new trucks are much better than the old ones. I do all my own mechanic work. the new trucks are just as easy to work on as the old ones as long as you know what ur doin.
Do you have any pictures?

Quick Reply: A Longing Gaze at the Good Old Days...