Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Loss of horsepower then a surge

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of horsepower then a surge

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L, V8. I'm having problems with a loss of horsepower, as if its about to give out, then a surge in power (bucking). I've changed the mass airflow sensor, fuel filter and air filter and still have the problem. It's really bad at higher speeds, the "surging" is worse but hasn't completely shut down on me...yet. It also doesn't seem to have as much pick up or power when towing. I've read a few posts on the possibilty of it being the fuel pump, EGR valve ect...just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what it was. Thanks
Old September 8th, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You might try saefoam in your tank before getting to radical with replaceing parts.
Old September 8th, 2011, 9:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most likely a fuel pump if your original hasn't gone out already...these trucks are notorious for it. mine went out in the school Parkin lot without any signs of it shutting down, same for 3 of my buddies trucks all the same year model
Old September 9th, 2011, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

I did find that SEAFOAM and I'm going to give that a try. I have been told that if it was the fuel pump, it would have crapped out a long time ago....as I've had this problem for over a week now. I did some more reading and another possiblity could be the MAP sensor, so tomorrow morning I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it a lot.
Old September 9th, 2011, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just cause it's happened for a week doesn't mean it should have happened already, one of my buddies went like this for over 3 months until he got a new truck
Old September 11th, 2011, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

No way, wow...ok I will see how it runs when I get the new spark plugs in and go from there. I'm in this deep now, I want to figure it out without taking it into a garage haha. Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2011, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Ours had a bad idle and would sit and pulse. Sounded like it was about to shut off then it would rev to stay alive. It did it enough to shut off while backing up a few times. We had a friend let us try a new throttle body and it runs like new now. My husband took apart the broke one and found carbon build up causing the "door" to stick and the gears had a lot of "play" so when we would push the gas it wasn't catching right away. Hope this helps. If you need any more info I can have my husband hop on here.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks very much for the help. I did have my buddy who is a gearhead go over it and one of the things he did was clean the throttle body which wasn't very dirty, but didn't help. I've now changed the spark plugs and wires, mass airflow sensor, pcv valve, air filter, fuel filter and MAP sensor.....still the same old. The problem is when I'm driving, and at certain speeds it's worse, like its going to cut out then surges back. I was towing my trailer and bobcat the other day on the highway (had no choice) and had to pull over as I lost pick up/power and the engine light was flashing. I took it to a shop right away, and dispite the engine light still being ON, no codes were coming up on the reader. So, next step is taking it to the dearlership (which I HATE doing) and getting them to do a driving diagnostic check so they can download everything the engine is doing as it's driving. Thanks again for all the help, very much appreciated.