Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Magnaflow or Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2008 | 11:58 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Magnaflow or Flowmaster

Bubba,
I watched that video it was great but I thought you were screwed. Funniest part was when I realized your dog was in the back the whole time - Damn was he ok?
Did you get any water in your cab or did the seals keep it all out when you were buried?
Old February 23rd, 2008 | 9:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes i second that vid was great entertainment,But was surprised at how calm dog was!!!!
Old March 6th, 2008 | 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

thanks guys, i got a little water in the cab. my truck is a threedoor so it leaks where the 2 doors meet. the biggest problem was the k&n intake kit. it flows air very well but it also flows water nearly as well. in the video the truck stalled out a couple times causeof water getting in the intake. after that the truck wouldnt get over 3000rpm. the water in the intake also caused my knock sensors to act up and caused the bearings in thepulleyof the air conditioning compressor to go bad. there were actually 2 black labs in that cage. i was taking them out to the river to let them swim. the dogs are fine. they are now way to large for the cage though!
Old March 6th, 2008 | 11:26 PM
CF Junior Member

I just installed a Gibson exhaust all stainless, did it myself and sounds great and I felt an instant impact on the bottem end. I have a NBS 07 w/AFM and it does sound a little different but not anoying. I wanted something a little different asI already have a flowmaster system on the wifes Suburban.
Old March 6th, 2008 | 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Can expand your thoughts about the exhaust and AFM? I am sure there are alotof people waiting to hear about it so we can clear the air about some of the rumors floating around.
Old March 7th, 2008 | 2:04 PM
CF Junior Member

My thoughts on AFM- I like it, I have had no trouble at this point a little over 11K. I can see the mileage increase. I like the fact that in reality it could prolong the life of the engine as it shuts down cylinders at random. I heard that there is a TSB on the AFMlifters making a noise, I have not heard this out of mine, and I have been listening as I am **** about my vehicles,[restore muscle cars for a hobby].
Old March 7th, 2008 | 3:42 PM
Super Moderator

What about the exhaust sound while AFM is activated?
Old March 7th, 2008 | 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

hey guys. this is the first time on this forum so i dont have a picture of my truck or anything special but here goes nothing. i have a 1996 chevy silverado ext. cab short box 4x4 with a350 vortec. for exhaust it originally had i flowmaster delta 50 on it and i agree, way too quiet. i then changed it out for an original 40 series and it was wicked. i got stupid and cut out the cuts and with that 40 it was crazy loud. this past spring i installed everything new but i changed to a magnaflow 2.5 inch stainless cat back instead of flow master. it is way quieter but it also makes up for it in tone. it was very deep and ballsy sounding. i recently installed headers which made even deeper and more toned. over all it is a matter of opinion. if you want lots of sound go for flowmaster but if you want alot of tone go with magna flow. the one draw back magnaflow has is depeding on the gearing in your truck it has a very annoying drone at some RPMs where as the flowmaster 40 rumbles all the time. another thing to take into account is that magnaflow is stainless which will last forever, where as flowmaster is aluminized and over the couse of 5 years or so it will rot. so there are a few things to take into account
Old March 10th, 2008 | 12:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry for the delay,[I`ve been at work],and I wont be back for a week will be out of town.The AFM with the new exhaust sounds fine. The Gibson model I have is designed for the AFM. I chose the single exitrear behind the wheel stainless. I chose this model as it puts out 5 more hp and around the same torque increase over the duals, plus I pull a trailer that has a car shield on the nose and the sound bouncing off of the cover is anoying.