Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Making the switch. What oil filter to use?

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2008, 5:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the switch. What oil filter to use?

Well I am going to dothe switch fromMobil Oneto Royal Purple synthetic. I was just wondering what oil filter should I use to the 5,000 mile mark without the filter getting full of dirt? maybe the 7,500 mile mark?
Old December 25th, 2008, 2:26 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Making the switch. What oil filter to use?

I would still use a wix or napa gold. They are very good filters.

Maybe step up to a Hastings in you can fine one in your area, believer they are industrial filters, but had to use one on an old 235 chevy 6 cyl in winter as this filter has one of the best back flow valves on the market at that time.

The old motor had the filter mounted sideways and the oil would drain out, in winter motor would knock before oil pump could fill filter with oil, hasting filter elimated that problem.
Old December 25th, 2008, 3:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Just use a A C delco will be fine.
Old December 25th, 2008, 8:16 PM
CF Veteran

FRAM, 'nuf said
Old December 25th, 2008, 9:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Which one came on your truck when it was new? It was not fram.
Old December 25th, 2008, 9:21 PM
CF Active Member

wix all the way
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i need to find that research and post it here...
some guy bought pretty much every single filter available, then cut them open, disassembled, measured and evaluated everything all through.
#1 filter is not available in the USA, but in Japan only
#2 is Mobil one filter (i, personally, use them for 15 000 miles along with Amsoil)
#3 is K&N filter, similar in quality to #2. advantages are: easy removal, as it has a nut on top of it, so a regular wrench van be used; it has pressure valave for safety.

and the rest of it is down there, with most small brands being all the same inside, just having different labels on the outside.

i used RP for years and on all vehicles, but switched to Amsoil. i still use RP ATF on my truck though.
Old December 27th, 2008, 6:35 AM
CF Beginner

you should use a good always use a good filter that is made of a durable media inside fram and ac delco are crap they are only intended for at most 3k miles they are made of paper this breaks down after having hot oil pushed threw it @ 60psi after awhile. wix, napa, k&n are good filters that is why they cost more and go longer between oil changes. it makes no sense to use synthetic oil and then use a cheap paper oil filter that can only go 3k when the oil can go 10k. if you pay $50 for the syn. oil in your truck doesn't seem like the part that is to keep it clean should cost more than $5 bucks!
Old December 27th, 2008, 1:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Somebody better call GM and tell them that there AC delco oil filters are only good to 3000 miles. My reminder for changing oil has gone alot longer then that. And there alot of people that use synthetic oil and change the filter before they change the oil.If a filter is working it is going to get dirty. In my cummins I could go 15000 on oil changes without using synthetic. I never did go that far.
Old December 29th, 2008, 1:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Pureolater pure one is another good one. Filters are rated by their filtering capacity in microns. The better the filter the smaller particle they will filter. Most of the top brands will cost more because they filter the smaller particles. AC Delco and fram are not small particle filters. That's why they are cheap. If you are concerned about the oil in your truck start testing it at 5000 mile intervals by performing a blotter test and see how good your filter is working. If you are running synthetic you still need to change your filter twice as often as your oil. Your oil is only good for 15000 miles if it's clean!!! Personally I run amsoil for 20,000 miles and change my filter every 7000. When I change my oil it still tests out ok for viscosity and cleanliness.

Quick Reply: Making the switch. What oil filter to use?