Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Making the switch. What oil filter to use?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2008, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making the switch. What oil filter to use?

the best to use is a fleetgaurd, they do not use paper fleets but a fabric, they do use paper in some of them too. they are a filter built by cummins, the best place to look would be at your local kenworth dealership, they can fix you up. now i install those on over the road trucks, they change oil ever 10000 to 25000 miles, one filter. you may not be able to run that lon but 5000 to 7000 should be ok, just keep an eye on the oil pressure is all. you may be able to mail order them through fleet gaurd but you may need to order an entire case but hey you'll be set for a while. If you dont want those, then the would be wix of napa gold, i have had customers use them for many years, i ahve to cut them apart, they do a good job with no worries for 5000 miles.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Still a die hard 3k oil change fan. Think of oil changes like baby diapers. The cost/value of the media isn't half as important as the frequency of the change.
Old January 1st, 2009, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use K & N filters..........when to change really depends on how the truck is used........if only driving on paved roads...........just wait for 7500 mile mark or when the message center says it's time to change or at least once a year (also depends on the miles you drive each year)....
If driving alot on dusty un-paved roads or off roading then every 3000 miles........
Old January 1st, 2009, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My whole state is a "dusty road". Hey guys, my only question about synthetics and 85$ oil changes is: Does it make the normal dirt in oil enter the engine any slower?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 9:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rivereye

My whole state is a "dusty road". Hey guys, my only question about synthetics and 85$ oil changes is: Does it make the normal dirt in oil enter the engine any slower?
good air filter will do this. what has oil to do with it? get k&n air filter, run it forever. costs what it costs, does superb job though, well worth the money paid.

as of $85 oil changes
well, if it runs perfecto for 15 000 miles, it's your 5 regular oil changes. what's cheaper? and how much money have you saved down the road, by keeping your engine happy with quality lubrication??????? my oil change totals like this:
gallon flush oil wallmart - $6
mobile1 oil filter $11
5 cans amsoil - $50
1 can seafoam to pre-clean engine before oil change - $7

even that does not add up to 85 bucks though... hmmm
Old January 3rd, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i'll be kicked in mytootie twice!! whichever way i am trying to post link to the oil filters study, or the study itself - website declines to do so!!! someone must be really scared of links to other sites....

anyways, just google "oil filter study" and look for one with minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy

wow! at least this worked!! you know, after 38 yrs in ussr, i am just very sensitive to any censorship.

anyways, for die hard 3K miles oil chagers:

google "motor oil bible ebook" and check out motroilbible.com look for orange link that says: download free ebook. VERY GOOD READING. you want to keep jiffy lube CEOs rich - be my guest.