Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Mis at idle and code P0300

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2011, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis at idle and code P0300

I have a 98 K1500 5.7 vortec. I just purchased a jasper re-manufactured engine in January and with the engine I put new plus, wires, cap, rotor, cam sensor, tps, crank sensor, fuel filter, air filter and gear on dist bottom and the truck has been good. I now am getting a rough idle and a P0300 code. I had my mechanic run diagnostics on the truck. He said my timing is off when it idles. When you give it a little gas it corrects the timing. He's thinking I may need a new distrib or a ECM. He has a good used dist he wants to put on and try and if not he was thinking ECM. I was wondering if that sounds correct to you guys. I was thinking my fuel pump was lose pressure but didn't know if it would cause the time to be off. Any help would be great.
Old March 9th, 2011, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why doesnt he just move the distributor to fix the timing retard? you cant set timing at idle, you have to be a like 800rpms in neutral. Loosen the hold down bolt and move the distributor back and forth slowly to hear the perfect tune if you dont have a timing light. You should be at -10BTDC I believe for this motor. Someone will confirm this.