Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Motor Knocking and Oil Pressure HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2009, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Knocking and Oil Pressure HELP

I have a 2000 chevy silverado 2500 6.0L gas. it was a work truck so it has some wear and tear on it but it still runs strong. whenever i first start the engine and when i idle at a red light for example, my engine oil pressure drops to 0lbs. it is not my gauge because you can hear the vavles start clicking when it drops but when i start driving it goes up to 40lbs and stays there. also when i get on it or drive above 70MPH or 60MPH for 5 minutes or more the engine will start knocking but the oil pressure gauge still says 40lbs so i figure its getting oil but why does it still knock? it will keep knocking untill i bring it down to 50MPH or below and drive it normally. anyone know why it does this or how i might be able to fix it?
thanks
Old April 26th, 2009, 4:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a engine
Old April 26th, 2009, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check compression this will tell you if you need a new engine or just a new top end(valve grind, resurfaced heads, new pushrods, and rockers)
Old April 27th, 2009, 8:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do what suzuki guy said and also change the oil pump if the engine is still good... if you have an auto-matic it might just be your torqe converter nocking.. you might need an oil change.. when was the last time you had your oil changed??? and when it does nock do you lose power???
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:02 PM
CF Senior Member

your post got me going for few days....
basically, you losing oil pressure somewhere at lower rpms.
it came upon me this morning, on my drive to work.
replace your pushrod bearings. now, and i have done this myself several times on different vehicles, you don't need to yank engine out. drop the oil pan and you'll have access to cranckshaft and pushrods. i guess, some call them connecting rods.
anyhow, you can undo bolts and remove pushrod bearings without pulling them out of the engine. also, you'll see if your cranckshaft is shot.
remove spark plugs to make it easier to turn. turn ONLY in the direction engine runs, or you'll bust main seals.
i think, if you keep driving like this, you'll fry your pushrod bearings sooner than later anyway.
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Active Member

ok he didnt say hes losing power witch means his PISTON RODS AND BEARINGS should be fine... its an oil pump issue.. if anything check to see if theres a slug build up on your oil pump... and OLD oil dont work like new oil... have you ever heard a car with 6 year old oil??? they sound and run like crap...
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Pushrods are right underneith intake manifold i assume your talking about something else?
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

hey guys no im not loosing any power. now sometimes when my oil pressure is at 0 pounds and i go to take off it hesitates a doesnt really jump off the line like it does with oil pressure. thats understandable but most of the time it will get up and go even at 0lbs. i really didnt wanna get a new engine till mine blows. so i was trying to make it last as long as possible by not so expensive fixes. i think the oil pump might be a problem but someone told me on my year of truck i would have to raise the engine to drop the oil pan to get to my oil pump. others say i dont need to raise it all i need to do is just drop the pan and it should be right there. any help?
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

also i change my oil filter once every like 6 months but my engine burns up oil so instead of changing it i just add to it all the time. i put some ENGINE RESTORE in it the other day. and my friend told me about some stuff you can buy that gets out engine sludge which im going to look into as well. but i took off my vavle cover last night and noticed there is oil in the valves but thats also where the noise is coming from. my vavles. so im not quite sure what wrong. i was driving 45MPH down a road today to Walmart and when i got there and parked i heard my engine knocking again. it never knocked at that low of speed before. so i dont know.
Old April 28th, 2009, 4:52 PM
CF Active Member

bad torqe converter?? mine knocks on my 1989 C1500... try changing the oil pump... and all you can do to find out if you need to lift it or not is to try and drop your oil pan that will tell you if you need to lift it.... and get whats burning oil fixed thats not a good thing... burning oil can be: rings, valve gides, head gasket(s), damaged piston walls.. i would really drop your pan and take a goood look at things and while you got the oil pan off it wouldnt hurt to look at your torqe converter..

Quick Reply: Motor Knocking and Oil Pressure HELP