Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Motor Prob?? PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Prob?? PLZ HELP

I have recently had my 1998 Z71 rebuilt tranny put in. The problem I am having is within 60 miles I was driving and the oil pressure gauge reads nothing and the truck slowly dies off. No noise, nothing, but loss of power steering etc.... Headlights stay on and all the electrical works fine. My question is I checked the oil, and it is def sludgy to the point that it hangs atleast 1" off the dipstick before rolling off. Another thing is I have tried to turn the crank, no luck. Also tried to turn the flywheel no luck. Is this motor locked up to the point of no return, and I might as well buy another motor or anyone have any ideas to this solution and also answers?
Old April 6th, 2007, 3:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Motor Prob?? PLZ HELP

Definately sounds bad.
Old April 6th, 2007, 8:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like a serious problem. If you get it unseized Try some marvel mystry oil(no joke) and an oil change. The marvel will break up the sludge. Drive for 500 miles than change oil again. Problem is this could cause other wear problems to rear their ugly heads such as worn bearings. Worth a try before rebuild.
Old April 6th, 2007, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

sounds like your head gasket may have gone.. pull the spark plugs, disable your ignition and then crank the engine (if it doesnt crank at all)....it may be "hydro-locked"...oil or Antifreeze may have leaked past the gasket, causing the engine to not turn because liquid(not like a gas/air mixture) does not compress....if oil or antifreeze comes jetting out of your spark-plug holes when you crank it with the plugs out, you need a head gasket. Also, check the antifreeze for oil.....maybe this will help.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

ok thanks. Whats the best site to buy these parts off of? Like the Head Gasket etc....
Old April 15th, 2007, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

man how long has it been since you changed your oil. its obviously been way too long.