Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

My truck BANGS! What is the problem??

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2009, 8:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My truck BANGS! What is the problem??

Hi,
I have a 1994 Chevy Silverado 5.7 AT 4x4. When I start moving from a complete stop, I hear a "BANG" coming from the back of the truck. As if something was in the bed of the truck and hit the tailgate as I start moving. But there is nothing in the bed and there is no spare tire under the truck. Is this an indication that the rear is going bad? I don't know if this is relevant, but sometimes when the truck is coasting and you lightly step on the gas, the truck will buck & clank until you give it more gas or take your foot off the gas. It did this last summer and I put in a used tranny, but it still does it. Can this be an engine or a trans problem, or maybe the rear?? Does anyone know of any known problems with the Silverado or what could be wrong?
Thanks for the help!
Old January 29th, 2009, 9:24 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Has the rear differential ever been serviced, service recently? How about U-joints
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

If you have the G80 ( gov lock ) option its probably going bad mine did this and finally it went , if it pops or bangs going around sharp corners this is a dead giveaway , mines now sitting in the drive while I look for parts , also if you have the 2 piece drive shaft the slider section might be out of grease .
Old January 30th, 2009, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, we call them gov bombs because they make a mess. The best thing to do if it is the rear end is to replace the gov lock with a open face carrier with regular spider gears in it. That's what I do and tech around the world suggest and they work great.