Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Nav radio in 2008 2500HD diesel

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav radio in 2008 2500HD diesel

I am replacing the stock am/fm/xm/cd/mp3 radio (GM PN#25865029) and as far asI can tell there is no amp (Y91 lux -or- non lux) or bose system in the truck. I have a dvd/nav radio(GM PN#25846421) thatI installed and there is no volume control or warning sounds (door open, lights on, ect.) onstar/am/fm/xm/cd/dvd/all work at one low volume.

Nav works but no voice commands, I did hook up the wires from J3 conection on onstar unit to pins 3 and 4 in the C1 connectionon the radio and the vss wire pin 5 in the C4 connection on the radio to the green/white wire in the junction box to the left of the break pellde. Is this correct?

I was toldI need a aftermarket 4ch amp to fix the problem with the volume and from the infoI found that seems to be the case.I would like to know if it is possable to add a OEM bose amp and speakers for the newheadunit? If so, can anyone help with part numbers for the correct amp and wireing harnes? I want to keep it as close to stock as possable and have everything working corectley including the warning sounds and onstar.

Cost and install work not a big deal but would like to keepit reasinable. I can get allGM partswith the GMemployeediscount so that can help.I got the head unit from a friendthat removed it from his truck for free soI can spend the extra on the amp, speakers, ect.

Or should I just scrap the idea of adding abose amp and speakers and get a differint head unit that will work with the speakers and wireing in the truck? If so what codes like Y91do I needto find outwhat head unitI need?

I would have justboughta truckwith the nav radio to start with if the dealer could have found one with all the other options I wanted -or- I could have ordereda truck with navbut I needed the truck ASAP and there are not alot topick from.
Old September 8th, 2008, 9:52 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Nav radio in 2008 2500HD diesel

If the dealer would reprogram the radio with the Tech 2. They need to make sure they start with replace-reprogram module on the TIS 2 WEB. They just need to follow the prompts and build the vehicle with the correct RPO codes from inside the glove box.

You should have all audio and chimes working whether you have an amp or not.

As far as the voice guidance I think it uses pins 4 and 5 on the C1 connector (black)
Name:  1915185-5.gif
Views: 1910
Size:  34.5 KB
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you,

I got the voice guidance hooked up right but it still is not working. I did have the deler hook the tech 2 back upto check the programing and they said it wasprogramed all right.

He told me that the nav radio only has low level outputs and that it requiresthe boseexternal amp (lux -or- non lux) to control the audio and chime volume. He also said that they might be working but the volume is so lowyou can't hear them.

The deler did not seem like they wanted to be bothered with this so I dont know if I should belive them. Ya know,They got there $40,000.00 for the truck 2 mounts ago why should they help me now??

If you or anyone has more info about this or knows where I can get more info if you could let me know it would be appreated very much.

*****Should I just try to find a delerthat is more willing to do the programing?

Thanksagian for the wireing diagram.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
CF Active Member

There is no difference in high level (non amp), low level (amplified) Lux (balanced output with a luxury amp BOSE). It is the same radio.

If you do not program the radio correctly then you will either have a low level output (low sound) or no sound. If you have a good ear for audio then you can also notice that the vehicle has no bass or very little bass.

I have programed these radios incorrectly before. I made a mistake and programed a Avalanche for LUX amp when it did not have a amp period. Everything worked but no sound whatsoever. Reprogrammed radio with the correct RPO codes and everything worked.

Talk to the shop foreman He should be the most knowledgeable.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

OK sounds good, I will go in the morning and see what they can do. I did have the voice guidance hooked up right to the radio pin 4,5 but if i am reading the print right it should be hooked up to 2,4 on the VCIM? (Hard to read print)

Thank you for your help I have been working on this for 2 weeks and some people say you have to add a bose amp some say it can't be done some say that I have the wrong head unit so on and so on.....

Thanks again hope this works!
Old September 12th, 2008, 1:37 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Some Nav's are meant for use with an amp only and cannot be programmed otherwise. Take the part # into the parts dept and have them run it to see what vehicles it'll fit and wether or not it'll work in a non-amplified system.
If they can't tell you, have the tech try to program the radio with the tech 2. When you try to select the radio you will have one of two scenarios.....there will be two radios to choose from: base radio & uplevel radio. In this case, you are SOL. But if it shows base radio, upleve radio, and nav radio, then make sure they read the spid label properly to get the right options for the truck
Old September 12th, 2008, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Ya, just got back from the dealer and that is what they said.They told me I can order PN 19153969 -or- PN 19153970 for my truck. Theysaid both will work, but they could not tell me what the differencewas inthe two part numbers. The description was the same in the computer for both.Anyone know what the difference is??? Going to start looking to see if I can find out something on line now.

Thanks
Old September 17th, 2008, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

I had to go with an aftermarket amp and pac aoem-gm1416 add a amp interface, not whatI wanted to do, I wanted to stay as close tofactoryasI could, but I got everything to work. I made a wiring harness so I did not cut any of the factory wires at all, pluged it in then hooked everything to that. I did have to go back to the dealer and have the radio programed for a truck without the lux bose amp (Y91)just the non-lux amp for it to work. Added the backup cam too. I was going to add monitorsin the back seat but I don't know if the C3 connector dvd wires are a in or out signal for the dvd in the head unit?

16-Pin Connector C3:

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
1 YE 2059 Auxiliary Audio Left Signal
2 WH 2058 Auxiliary Audio Right Signal
3 L-BU 5826 Left DVD Audio Signal (+)
4 WH 5828 Right DVD Audio Signal (+)
5 OG/BK 5831 Remote Infra Red Signal (+)
6 PK/BK 5844 Video Bright Control
7 D-GN 6975 DVD Video Signal (+)
8 PU 2056 Auxiliary Video High Signal
9 Bare 5345 Drain Wire
10 L-GN/BK 5845 Video Module Signal
11 PU 6979 DVD Audio Common
12 Bare 6980 DVD Audio Shield
13 TN/WH 5830 Remote Infra Red Signal (-)
14 Bare 6976 DVD Video Drain Wire
15 WH/BK 5335 DVD Video Signal (-)
16 Bare 5346 Video Drain Wire

Any help would be great.

Getting the service maluals on Friday but I dont know if that will help or not.

Thanks again for all the info![sm=smiley16.gif]
Old September 18th, 2008, 3:21 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the wires are an output to the overhead moniter
Old March 20th, 2012, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have a problem installing a navigation in my 07 silverado 2500hd LTZ. I bought a unit off ebay and installed it into the truck and everything came on on the radio. I thought it was going to work but the door chime is very loud and can not be turned down and the blinker sound is differeont and very loud anyone know what my problem might be local chevrolet dealership charged me $35 and told me they did not know

Quick Reply: Nav radio in 2008 2500HD diesel