Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

NBS Silverado... Burnout Problems?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NBS Silverado... Burnout Problems?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but i'm having a problem and was curious if anyone else could relate... I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500, NBS, Crewcab LTZ with a 5.3 (the LTZ's came from GM with 4.11's keep in mind).... For the life of me I can't get the truck to spin the tires... I've had SUPERCHIPS Flash Paq... A custom tune (Not on the dino b/c it wouldn't fit) and just got the diablo sport, which I have not put in yet, and so far nothing has worked.. has anyone else had this same problem? Has anything fixed it? Just to cover the first couple questions; yes I turned stabilitrac & traction cont. off.
Old June 15th, 2009, 2:48 PM
CF Active Member

What kind of tires do you have? If you have tires that have great traction, like M/Ts or some A/Ts, you may have trouble spinning your tires. Street tires should be no problem, however. Tire size also affects their 'spinability'.
Old June 15th, 2009, 3:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Ah...spinning tires... my expertise

Buy HARD tires. Tires that are warm , stick to the road more. Hard tires, stay longer cold.

Blow up your tires more then normal. 2.5 to 2.8 bar easily. (the sides should not be touching the ground).

Now... the underground is also important. A sandy road is preferable. But a wet road will also help a lot (allthough its harder to keep your car under control).

An easy trick is a bucket of water with detergent in. (10 liters and about half a glass of detergent). Pour it over the rear tires and you'll be spinning like hell.

If its any comfort... the A-team Van wasnt able to spin of its own either. They had to use the detergent trick as well.
Old June 15th, 2009, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

If we're talking about adding slippage, try bleach. It generates ridiculous amounts of smoke and some major slippage.
Old June 15th, 2009, 9:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a pick up, why do you want to spin the tires? If you got the itch to spin buy a sports car LOL

Supercharger will make it spin for sure regardless of the tires
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
CF Active Member

put a manual tranny in it and they will spin... get a stage 3 clutch kit and air your tires up the more air the less tire on the ground whitch mean more likely to brake lose..... the guy above me has a point... but i have problems getting my 1989 silverado 1500 reg cab short bed to spin the tires.... i have a special 4x4 i can stick it in 4 low and only spin my rear tires.... i also have a built 283 in my truck its a 283 bored .30 and has 327 camel back heads and a 350 cam.... i have way more power then a stock 350 does and it because i have an automatic in my truck... here real soon im putting a manual in her...

Last edited by 89silverado283; June 15th, 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: "cam" camel"
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:01 PM
CF Active Member

my 07 2500 with 6.0L (4.10 gear) would blow the tires off from a stop... 5.3L doesnt have much low end grunt to do that. power braking is useless... brakes work too good. burnouts arent always good, id rather it just hook up and leave someone sit quietly.... ( notice i have a few AWD things)
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

I'm hoping to do it from a stop... No bleach, water, just dry pavement... The thing I don't get is the Older body style trucks would do it no problem with the 5.3... Whatever chevy changed within the trans/motor in the body style change SUCKS!
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:27 PM
CF Active Member

also the electronic throttle control does not open to 100% right off either. you can mash it to the wood, but it will only open so far, and it doesnt open quick to snap the tires loose.
ETC sucks.
Old June 17th, 2009, 7:19 AM
CF Active Member

awsome, post a vid when you get them to spin and the 10 bolt blows up on ya.
spinning tires is cool when your 16, when you are older, you realize that tires, gas, wear and tear cost alot.
Torque Management and abuse mode are key here, the 5.3 will spin them if you want especailly since you have 4.10's(Gm does not put 4.11 gears in their newer trucks) also tire size as stated will make a difference. 17" wheels will be easier than 20", 31's easier than 33's.

Quick Reply: NBS Silverado... Burnout Problems?