Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need advice on 98 silverado (engine problems)

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2011, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on 98 silverado (engine problems)

Well, the other day I went to start my 98 silverado and I heard a major clanking sound. I stopped and went to look at the engine when I noticed oil and antifreeze leaking everywhere. There is a whole in the oil pan that looks like The incredible hulk punched through. I am guessing I threw a rod? I am not sure, I do not know to much about engines. The truck is a 98 extended cab that has a 350 in it. It only has 90 original miles and has been driven litely over the years by a slow old man. Over the last few months, I did start losing some of the radiator fluid (I noticed it would be a couple inches low each morning. A repair shop fixed it the leak but I am not sure if that was related.

Anyway, I was wanting info on what is best to do. Should I get a crate engine or a rebuilt engine? I was quoted 6k for a jasper install and I just don't want to pay that much. Are these engines on ebay any good? I am in the memphis area if anybody knows someone that can help.
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Price an engine from AutoZone, they are HQd in Memphis and should have the best regional price.
Crate or rebuilt it doesnt matter, they all come with a warranty.