Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need help deciding between a couple Silverado's

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2014, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding between a couple Silverado's

How is everyone doing? I am new to this forum and new to the Chevy world. This is going to be my first Chevrolet.

A little background, I got rid of car payments and I have about $6000 to spend on a truck. I really would like an 03 or newer but my budget doesn't get me much in those years. Im not really a fan of the 89-02, so im looking at 80's body style.

I have a few im looking at and was wondering which you guys would suggest.

1983 Chevy Truck

Really like this one, only knock is that its a 1 ton. I know im going to get bad gas mileage but if the difference is 10mpg on one truck and 15mpg on another, that can add up for sure. Also has some surface rust I would have to take care of.

1986 Chevy Silverado lifed

This is the other one I am considering. Its most likely a half ton or 3/4 ton. This one is very clean,cheap, and already has a lift on it. I do not like the orange or wheels. With the scratches, I would most likely want to get a brand new paint job on it and change the color. I would have some money to play with on this one.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4543380618.html

Lastly there is this one. It is pretty clean. would the fuel injection of the 87 be enough to sway my decision?

What are your thoughts folks? Should I keep looking? Would a half ton and 1 ton in these years really have that much different MPG?

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate you taking time to help me.

Last edited by Victor1124; July 13th, 2014 at 5:58 PM.
Old July 13th, 2014, 7:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, Victor1124,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

All those trucks are going to suffer on gas mileage.

The older L-blocks are not as efficient as the Vortecs, they

are 4WD, and all have a lift, 31 or 33 inch tires, and dual exhaust is

a mileage killer, too.

If I had to choose, I would seriously consider the less expensive of the three.

IIRC, the Orange one is 3500$, leaves a little $ wiggle room for repairs

and upgrades.

If you are serious about gas mileage, you want 2WD, no lift, normal tires,

342 or 321 differential gears,(check the RPO codes)

standard single exhaust, new gas shocks, and either a fiberglass cap on the

back, or a cargo net where the tailgate is, for less aerodynamic drag.

What is your most basic purpose for this truck?

Last edited by therewolf; July 13th, 2014 at 7:43 PM.
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much for your response.

It will actually be my daily driver, I guess I really shouldn't even mention gas mileage when it comes to these trucks lol. I drove a 2008 dodge ram and got 10-12 mpg so I guess I would be use to it. Just don't want something where im getting under 10 and filling up every couple of days.

The thing with the orange one is that I don't really like that color and it is scratched up pretty bad. Overall, it is pretty clean so how cheap it is kind of scares me.

I am leaning towards the blue one. Maybe it was the guys photography work or something but it was almost a love at first sight thing. I just wonder if the 1 ton is too much truck for what I would use it for.
Old July 14th, 2014, 5:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those early fuel injection systems were not that great (throttle body, etc.) and technology had not yet overcome the strict (for that era) emissions regulations.

A truck that is almost three decades old is undoubtedly going to have some unforeseen issues that will slowly drain your wallet - especially if you want it to be a daily driver. Nevertheless, a well-restored (or nicely kept original) Chevy truck of that vintage is definitely a head-turner.

Good luck to you - whatever you decide! :-)
Old October 5th, 2014, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Current Owner

I own a 1986 Chevy Silverado C-10 I bought it with 80,000 miles on it for 3800 bucks the truck is in excellent condition and there is not one complaint about it, I would highly recommend this year and body style. These trucks are great and dependable. you can easily fix almost anything on them and they are just a great looking fun ride!!!