Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need help! Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2009, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Power Steering Problem

I'm new, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
I have an 01 Silverado Z71 with around 95k miles. This evening, not even an hour ago I drove to the store and upon arrival home while backing in, I heard a loud "POP", then the steering became almost impossible to turn. When I raised the hood there was power steering fluid all over the place. I have no idea what happened or where this spewed from. Can somebody please tell me what happened and if this is something that my husband and I can fix ourselves. I am out of work and he is on very short time so funds to have this fixed somewhere is probably out of the question for now unless we can do it ourselves. Any help is very much appreciated.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 6:39 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely a power steering hose blew. Get some p/s fluid and fill the pump back up steer the truck and see where the fluid comes out.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks MDTAHOE, I'll crawl under it tomorrow before trying that to see if by chance I can tell where it blew. If not, then we'll fill it and go from there. Thanks again!
Old August 25th, 2009, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update to PS Problem

Well, it turns out that it was not the power steering line that blew. A seal in the gear box blew out. So............a new unit is being put in today instead of just replacing the seals. New line is also installed, for a just in case basis. Will save the old one for a spare.