Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

need more horses

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2011, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more horses

how do i put more horses in my silverado
Old January 23rd, 2011, 3:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you lure them with oats
Old January 23rd, 2011, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. That was a good one right there!!!
Well you could try a cold air intake sytem, an new aftermarket performance exhaust sysytem, maybe even a forced air intake kit like a turbo, or a supercharger, depending on your truck of course, due to the fact these are not availible for all vechicle. If you got the money you could have the computer reprogramed for performence, Make selective engine modifications. You could replace the engine camshaft with a cam that meets horsepower needs like more ponnies such. but be prepared for long hours of work.
O im still laughin about that response though. Good luck.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 9:20 PM
CF Active Member

if you do the exhaust go with short headers for more hp long tube for more tq
maybe u can try a new throttle body as well
Old January 26th, 2011, 9:36 AM
CF Active Member

THe easiest way to get more horses is to put a performance computer on your rig. they plug into your computer system. You can get different ones that are preprogramed or even programable. Here are some units:
Trinity
Edge
Bully
They run from 300 to 700 dollars on average and will adjust your computer to deliver more power. They also allow you to read some engine problems and turn off warning lights. Of course the warnings won't stay off unless you fix the problem. They also allow you to do things like adjust the wheel size to give you a correct speed reading on your speedometer. Check them out they have online manuals and descriptions.
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

i run the bully dog gt gas tuner and i love it. i paid $350 new and it was a noticable difference in the power and torque especially when i am towing. nice thing is the display is adjustable so you can keep an eye on things the dash doesnt tell you like trans temp
Old January 26th, 2011, 8:25 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by useagle69
how do i put more horses in my silverado
Welcome to the forum.

Check out blackbear performance for a custom tune that will be mucho better than any of the programmers.
Old January 26th, 2011, 8:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

second the tune...I had the bulldog power pup but sold it cause it didn't really give noticeable improvements. just messed with shift patterns and parameters. gettin a wheatley tune this weekend though
Old January 26th, 2011, 9:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Hook up a trailer and load em in. Could use oats as previously mentioned.

And just any other vehicle, you make horsepower by helping the engine breath. Intake mods for more air, exhaust mods to release it. Replace the factory intake with a more free flowing assembly, replace exhaust manifolds with exhaust headers, replace cats with high flow cats or off road pipes, and stock exhaust with a wider ID cat-back. Then as mentioned, get a tune to tell the computer how to use it all more appropriately... and there is always forced inductions and internals, but if you have to ask how to make horsepower in the first place, you probably don't want to undertake a task like forced induction or internals.
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by country_09
second the tune...I had the bulldog power pup but sold it cause it didn't really give noticeable improvements. just messed with shift patterns and parameters. gettin a wheatley tune this weekend though
I checked out the powerpup description. They make some very slimey statements. I love the one that says : By increasing the efficiency of the engine, the Power Pup should increase your fuel mileage.

Notice the use of the word 'should' in short they aren't making any claim and make it appear that it's not worth testing out. From my reading most of the computers don't have much effect on milieage except to make it worse.

The power pup is also a cheap end model. I don't have personal experience with the computers but the best reviews I've seen usually come from guys that tow. Also they usually say it won't do much for the Chevy 6 speed transmission. This does seem to make a case for a big difference in shifting. I don't know about you guys but I am completely unimpressed with how the transmission shifts in my 5.3liter 2008 1500. It is slow and sloppy. It is a lot mushier than my 2001 dodge van was.

The test: when I go over speed bumps I like to go about 10mph and give the gas a goose after the front goes over. This puts stress on the rear springs and keeps the rear from bouncing. In a truck it's not quite as effective because the rear is so light. Anyway, the point is my old van did this great, the truck doesn't react quick enough between the gas and transmission to accerate soon enough.