Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need My Cruise Control....HELP

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2007, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need My Cruise Control....HELP

I have a 98 Z71 w/5.7 L EFI, and 181,000 well taken care of miles , and the cruise control has suddenly stopped working. The fuse for the CC is good, the tailights work and the brake pedal switch appears to be OK. Should I look into the ignition or dig into the module ? ( located where ?) Thanks in advance.
Old December 27th, 2007, 6:35 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need My Cruise Control....HELP

Most times the problem is in the multifunction (turn-signal) lever.
Old December 27th, 2007, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

They call it a multi-function switch. My lights went out, dims, and it was the switch. Check other threads because there are good folks who know alot. I did buy a switch for $130 and ending up installing myself with help. Good luck. Let me know if I can help. Dave
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:39 PM
CF Addict

GM calls it a "multifunction lever", the part inside the steering column is the switch that constrols the turn signals and high/low beam headlamp operation, the switch portion of the assembly has nothing to do with the cruise control function.

Many times it's just one of the small switches (the "Set" or "On/Off" slider) inside the lever that simply needs the contacts cleaned or a broken wire repaired to get the cruise control operational.

To clean the contacts (disconnect the neg battery cable) use an aerosol electronics or contact cleaner with the small tube, wrap a towel around the base of the lever and direct the spray in as near as you can get to the switch while operating the switch with your other hand, do each switch multiple times until the can is exhausted and let dry over night.

On a 1998 model Silverado the replacement of this unit requires the removal of the airbag module, horn pad/switch, steering wheel, tilt lever, knee bolster, lock set and steering column covers then lowering the column to access the harness, you can see what needs to be done as you get further into the disassembly, it is a job that can be done by a home mechanic with average skill and an extra couple of hours.
Old December 28th, 2007, 7:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I would bet on the brake light switch being bad.
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. Where are the components located ? I felt around the brake pedal and didnot see a switch or sensor. Also what is the location of the module ?
Old January 1st, 2008, 1:13 PM
CF Addict

Brake light switch is high on the brake pedal lever above your foot but if your brakelamps are wroking properly then this is not likely the problem.