Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need some new tires but which kind?

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some new tires but which kind?

I'm trying to find out what size tires would be best for my dads z-71 pickup. It's a 99 model an automatic 1500 engine, 4wd (doesn't use anything other than 2wd rear), its got 285-75 at 16 inch tires on it atm but they are all terrible. My father won't be using it anymore but my mom and I will, I'm willing to shell out the money for good tires but which would be best for this truck. Anyone well versed in this would be greatly appreciated to place an opinion but as always my interest will be focused on "why" I've heard that thinner tires are better for snow, I live in south texas so thats an unlikely need, this vehicle will spend most of its time on streets/pavement/highway so need for offroad or alternative stuff there. However it does have a 3-6 inch lift kit on it so would 265's be too narrow to be safe? Would anything smaller do? Also which tires are easier on the suspension? Narrow tires with a wide wall? Or wider tires like the 305's but i think that due to their wideness the sidewalls are thinner, again all just guesses. Which would last the longest or wear the best? Is there some gas mileage to be gained or lost by using a thinner tire or wider tire? What would the advantages be? Do wider tires actually give you better control? Would it wear out the gearbox and turning equipment out faster due to requiring more strain to turn such wider tires. Is that the reason why even after doing an entire front end alignment rebuild (except for gear box, the little play i get there is nothing huge enough to warrant changing that anytime soon i aint THAT picky) Hit me guys I'll be on this all day, trying to get an idea of the scope and make the best most informed decision possible. Got an opinion? Good hit me hard with it and maybe you can educate me. Appreciate guys. Nev~
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I don't know what sizes would be good, but MICHELIN"S all the way. I have never been let down by michelin and they have the unbeattable 65,000 mile warranty. Great tires, even for the money. Just put 4 285's on the 06 Crew Cab and it was about $200/tire installed
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

I recommend BF Goodrich All Terrain the only very obvious problem with these tires are that they are very soft they will perform very very well right up until the end I have never been let down by these tires. They do wear somewhat quickly on gravel and if you like to do the occasional burn-out but are good tires. It would not matter what size tires you have it would not have any negitive effects on your gear box or turning equipment unless all the tires didnt match or were different sizes. Good Luck
Old March 10th, 2009, 1:44 PM
CF Veteran

Default tires

i got cooper atr's for my 2500hd and i love them ,excellent traction .relatively quiet .