Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need a transmission rebuild kit for 1997 5.7L K 1500 Z71?

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a transmission rebuild kit for 1997 5.7L K 1500 Z71?

This is my first post, so let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

Its the 16 bolt pan, 4L60E (i think), and the transmission just recently started slipping and has now gone to limp mode, 2nd and reverse only.

I've been doing a lot of research on the topic, and want to rebuild this myself, to save money and for the experience. It is a farm truck that's also my daily driver, so I need to get it back running soon. It has 197k miles on it and I generally just putter around taking it easy. Probably why it has lasted so long. Doesn't burn any oil and may last another 50K, at least thats the plan.

Anyway, do you guys have any recommendations for rebuild kits? Do I need to purchase a sun shell with the kit? Any additional info will help.

Planning to buy this manual "GM Automatic Overdrive Transmission Builder's and Swapper's Guide".

Old March 26th, 2014, 3:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at your RPO code, if it M30 then you have a 4L60-E.
Do you have any special tools that be associated with rebuilding the tranny?
Old March 26th, 2014, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for replying Richard. Just looked up RPO in glove box and it has M30.

I don't currently have the tools necessary to rebuild, but tomorrow or friday I'm going to the nearest harbor freight to pick up tools. So far on my list I have a Shop press, Clearance feeler gauge, snap ring pliers, car jack, 4 jack stands, wobbly socket extension, Pick set, Transmission fluid, drop lights, 1'' paint brush, Blue and green assembly lube, engine degreaser, diagnostic scan tool, and a clutch spring compressor from amazon.

Normally I would be attempting something like this rebuild with my Dad who has two of every tool known to man, but I just recently moved out of state so I need tools. Anything else that should go on my list? I have most basic tools already.

Any advice on what rebuild kit I should buy? Any and all advice is welcome. I am fairly experienced and have done most of my automotive work in the past. I have a large concrete floored, well light shop to work in.
Old March 26th, 2014, 9:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry no advise on kit your driving style can help determine which kit. I have a manual (city slicker anti theft device) and have not tackled an auto in years. All kits should OEM or better in their specs tho.
Old March 27th, 2014, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

I ended up buying a high performance master rebuild kit by raybestos. Order should come in early next week, and I'm going into the city to purchase tools tomorrow.