Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New 91 C1500 Silverado Owner, Several issues

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2011, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 91 C1500 Silverado Owner, Several issues

Hello everyone. I just came up on this forum looking for information about the factory radio in my 91 C1500. I just purchased this truck off my father. Its in pretty good shape, not mint, but for a 91 I can't complain. It has only 105,000 miles. I do have some issues I would like to fix though, so if anyone has any information, please share your knowledge!

First of all. The truck battery drains. Not over a week or two. Overnight. My dad "fixed" the problem by installing a switch on the battery that he turned on and off. He drove this truck 2,000 miles over the 4.5 years he owned it, so obviously the switch wasn't that much of an issue. However, I will be using it as a daily driver to and from work. I would love to fix this problem. Anyone have any ideas how to isolate the cause of this?

Also, the factory radio is shot, I am guessing. I know that the radio module itself is undernieth the dash, and the buttons on the dash are best described as simply a control panel. I believe the buttons are functional, as hitting the BAL or FAD buttons will bring up the BAL or FAD functions on the screen, but i can't make any adjustments. Same with the volume and station buttons. Just seems the radio is froze on 98.1 with the volume half way up. But no sound comes out of the speakers. I would really like to keep the factory radio/cassette deck in this truck, but i am unable to find a replacement factory radio module anywhere online. Does anyone else have any ideas what might be causing the radio to do this, and if so, where I may find an OEM radio module? I figured they would be easy to find online, but so far, nothing.

Thats it for now. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old January 16th, 2011, 8:55 PM
CF Junior Member

As for the drain, pull 1 fuel/relay a night until the drain stops. Slow and tedious, but you should eventually find it. Have the battery tested first at Autozone or OReillys first though.
Old January 17th, 2011, 9:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its probably that crap radio that is the power drain. No one fixes OEM radio because they arent worth it and are of low quality even compared to the most Walmartiest stereo you would find. Just pay the $100 and get an aftermarket CD player. Factory radios go for $300-400 and still your stuck with a AM/FM 2 speaker radio?????

Your power drain has to be big enough to do it overnight and only 3 things draw that much power over a 8-10 hour time frame. Headlights, radio, starter, fuel pump. Headlights and fuel pump are obvious because you would hear them or see them. But the bum radio could be and the starter also. Yea, why not pull fuses and see what happens? There is no starter fuse so after you have exhausted all interior options you will see what left on the outside.
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Its probably that crap radio that is the power drain. No one fixes OEM radio because they arent worth it and are of low quality even compared to the most Walmartiest stereo you would find. Just pay the $100 and get an aftermarket CD player. Factory radios go for $300-400 and still your stuck with a AM/FM 2 speaker radio?????

Your power drain has to be big enough to do it overnight and only 3 things draw that much power over a 8-10 hour time frame. Headlights, radio, starter, fuel pump. Headlights and fuel pump are obvious because you would hear them or see them. But the bum radio could be and the starter also. Yea, why not pull fuses and see what happens? There is no starter fuse so after you have exhausted all interior options you will see what left on the outside.
It would be kind of annoying, especially if you work the next morning, but you could unbolt the positive wire on the starter, to isolate it.

And to OP, if you wanna buy me a cheap aftermarket radio, you can have my OEM one :-D
Old January 18th, 2011, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

My way is if its not a short to ground , then a new battery is always a good investment,if not it than a rebuilt altenator .Valaw a relialable vehicle
I own a 1990 scotsdale with no drain issues
for the fun
Old January 18th, 2011, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. i fixed the radio for now with a used radio control module from a junk yard for 10 bucks. I really like the stock look, but the sound may drive me to an aftermarket eventually. As for the drain, I noticed that the hood lamp sometimes was not turning off when closing the hood so that might have been the issue. I have left the battery hooked up overnight after taking out the bulb with no issues so far.

Does anyone know where the switch is for the hood lamp? It seems that switch keeps getting stuck on or off.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

The switch is in the housing of the lamp. Take it out and you ll see.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the radio isn't draining the battery.. my dads 92 is doign the same thing u described. just thought i would throw this out there... its a POS factory 2 piece radio.. and im guessing yours is the same type
Old January 18th, 2011, 5:03 PM
CF Veteran

POS? Hmm, must be one of the Cambodian Funkotronic 8900s. Receiver on the Instrument cluster, tape deck in the center area. Whoa, and what happens when people stop listing to cassettes? I wonder if the guy originally designed that for the 8-track?
Old January 18th, 2011, 9:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol no no..pos= piice of chit

Quick Reply: New 91 C1500 Silverado Owner, Several issues