Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New bug shieild causing flap

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bug shieild causing flap

hi I just had a bug shield and vent guards installed on my 09 silverado reg cab, Now at 60 mph + i get whats sounds like a flapping sound. Any ideas what it could be?????? I am sure it is from air turbulance. but cant seem to pinpoint where?
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be that the bug shield is hitting the body somewhere for maybe the vent guards have come loose
Old December 20th, 2009, 1:04 AM
CF Active Member

Some vehicles just don't react well to exterior mods like that. Usually its better to stay away from a lot of that plastic decoration stuff.
Old December 20th, 2009, 8:29 AM
CF Veteran

Default bug shield

i don't know what the cowl on that truck looks like up close ,but the older one's have a rubber flap that covers the hood hinge and there is a cut out in the flap to allow the hinge to go through it when you raise the hood, and on some of the deflector's the little flap cut out raises up and flaps's like a bat out of hell at speed . they change the wind flow over the truck .
Old December 20th, 2009, 4:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of them were having issues with the molding/seal at the top of the windshield floping after install. a little rtv silicone was put on the seal to hold it in place..

good luck
Old December 21st, 2009, 5:18 AM
CF Active Member

It's the bug shield, take it off & see if the noise stops. It happened to a buddie awhile back!
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Most bug shields have vent holes/slots that are right before the bend before the mounting points. If there isn't enough space/gap between the hood and shield wind drag will cause a vibration/flapping. The shield should have also come with small adhesive rubber bumpers to help control flapping and maintain the gap needed. Hope this helps!
Old February 16th, 2010, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

I have had recent experience with this. I ordered and installed a bug deflector for my Chevy Silverado. My first trip exceeding 55-60 miles per hour produced a frustrating "rattle/flapping". The next day I removed the deflector and went on the highway and guess what.....NO rattle or flapping. In speaking with a dealer and several others I understand that on some trucks the air deflection caused by the BD shoots air under the side windshield moldings which cause the moldings to Flap. Recommendation was to have a polyurethane glue applied to the molding to prevent it from flapping. I choose to NOT put back the deflector and returned it to the parts store for a refund.