Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

new fuel pump still wont start

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new fuel pump still wont start

broke down a few days ago ,ran out of gas,, tried starting it afterwards, like a dummy,, did this a few times ,as i was in the middle of busy road,anyway thought i burned out fuel pump so replaced , still no start,, when i was replacing wiring harness for new pump, i did notice one of the wires was not all clean copper,, it was also black , like it got burnt,, could this be my problem,, when i turn the key i dont hear pump hum, checked fuses and relays in truck,,,AHHH PLEASE HELP,NEED MY TRUCK.................thnx guys
Old December 25th, 2007, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: new fuel pump still wont start

well if you take your multimeter ,and put the key foward( or have some one cranking while you check for voltage. you should have 2 or 3 wires to the pump. one is ground the other are start and run. you just find the ground and then check the others for voltage.
Old December 26th, 2007, 9:26 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: chevy2500

broke down a few days ago ,ran out of gas,, tried starting it afterwards, like a dummy,, did this a few times ,as i was in the middle of busy road,anyway thought i burned out fuel pump so replaced , still no start,, when i was replacing wiring harness for new pump, i did notice one of the wires was not all clean copper,, it was also black , like it got burnt,, could this be my problem,, when i turn the key i dont hear pump hum, checked fuses and relays in truck,,,AHHH PLEASE HELP,NEED MY TRUCK.................thnx guys
It may not be burnt it may be corrosion.
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Are there fuel relays on the chevys like the dodges? I now when i helped my dad on his 1993 dodge pickup we replaced the fuel pump and it ended up being a $7 fuel relay.
Old December 27th, 2007, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have the exact sameproblem. Took old pump out, plugged it back in and it worked. I have 150,000 miles on my '02 Z-71 so I opted to put the new pump in. In replaced the plug to fit the new pump and now the new pump wont work??? Stupid me... cut the wires too short on the old plug to be able to reconnect it to the old pump. On the wires hanging from the truck... the gray wire is hot and the black is ground, I am not sure what the other two are. After a bit of searching I did find a fuse blown. STUD #1 is the fuse its the big 40 amp fuse. The manual says Accessory power/ trailer wiring feed. Would that have anything to do with the pump? I will let you know when I know.
Old December 28th, 2007, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! Bad ground... duh!! The static discharge ground from the fuel tank... that I took off to drop the tank, was the same ground for the fuel pump. It is a little bolt underneath the frame rail by the body mount. When it took of the grounds I put the bolt in just a few rounds to not lose it.The thing that had me stumped is when I hooked up the old pump it worked but it was cutting on and off. So I just thought it was broke. So I cut the plug off the old harness to put the new pump plug on I pulled the ground off along with the little bolt.
After a stressful night trying to figure out what the problem was and buying new relays and fuses and going around in circles, it was the stupid ground wire... step #1 for electrical problems!
I hope this helps your problem.