Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe died, Replaced fuel pump, runs good, but still some issues...

Old June 25th, 2011, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe died, Replaced fuel pump, runs good, but still some issues...

Me and my wife bought her a 2001 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with the 5.3L Vortec. I do not know the previous history of it. But there are a few issues we are having.

One, when starting the vehicle, sometimes it will turn over multiple times and not start. We turn the key off, try again, and it starts like normal. Im stumped on why it does that...

Two, my wife was in the drivethrough at a fast food place the other day, and the car started to "stumble" and finally died. Got the car pushed to a parking space. She couldnt start the car. I finally got there, got it started, and it idled at about 300-400 RPM. Push the gas, it either died, or tried to. Finally got enough RPMs to get it home. Checked fuel pump, and with the key on, no sound. So today I replaced the fuel pump with a Delphi. Took a while for it to get re-primed, but finally it started and ran fine at around 500 RPMS.

Now, I have two questions about this. Is 500 RPM too low? It just seems low, but my Ram idles around the same.

And after we washed her Hoe, she went to the store. When she started it, it idled lower than 500 when the A/C came on. Acted like it was on the verge of dying again. She decided to try it. She killed it when she went into the store, came out, started it with the A/C off, ran fine, turned the A/C back on, ran fine. And again, ran fine doing the same thing when she got home. Could there have still been a bit of air in the line to cause it to do this? or what?

Also, I replaced the inline fuel filter when doing the pump, and also cleaned the throttle body. Any other ideas? What else are some problem areas to watch out for? I drive a Dodge and know nothing of Chevys, but am someone mechanically inclined. Thanks guys!

End
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

600-700 sounds more reasonable for idle rpm. The ECM should maintain the idle speed when the A/C is turned on.
Old September 9th, 2011, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have any suggestions!!! Replaced 1999 chevy tahoe fuel pump & fuel pump relay. Other than replacing the inline fuel filter and cleaning the throttle body anyone have a sollution?