Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New Here Looking For Help

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here Looking For Help

Hey whats up guys, I am new here but ive been around forums like this before but im looking for some help. I know most forums complain that new guys dont use the search function enough but trust me I know all about it, I have searched hundreds of hours on other forums, I just figured for my type of question is would be easier to ask then try to search for all the answers im looking for. Im here to find out about silverado's and learn everything I can so that I can make the best decision for myself. Im 20 and about to graduate college and looking for a 4x4 truck, my options being 97-03 f150. 02 or 03 dodge 1500, or if im correct I think its 99-06 silverado. Im not here to bash on chevy's or say f chevy ford all the way or w.e you want to call it so anyone that feels the need to do that dont even bother replying to this post, I am just looking for the most realible truck for myself whether that be ford, dodge, chevy/gmc. Just off the top dodge seems to have tranny troubles and dash problems, ford can also be hit and miss on the tranny issue, 4x4 vacuum problems and thin heads. Ive heard chevy can have bad rust problems and I think their interior for these years isnt near as good as the other 2 makers (this being just my personal opinion) but like I said, I think every one of the 3 or 4 including the gmc truck all has their own problems and neither is perfect. I also think that the makers would not be as good as they are today if it wasnt for the competition and such between them all and in the end has made them all better. Im going to have around 8 to 10,000 to spend and my requirements are that is has to have under 100,000 miles and is 4x4. anything besides that I dont really care as long as I think it looks good. so im figuring that could get me into a 99 thru 03 or maybe even 04 silverado with under 100,000 miles and 4x4 like I said. please feel free to correct or add opinions as you feel. Ive been all over the other forums but just recently decided to look into this one so bear with me because I dont know hardly anything about these compared to its ford and dodge counterparts. So what are some things to look out for and that I need to know, does the vacuum 4x4 systems cause alot of problems on these like some of the others have? Is the tranny a very strong or rather weak point on these trucks? What would be the best year to try and get between 99-04? what trim packages are there? Im figuring there is acourse a base work style package then a step up, and then probably another step up to the most luxury package if you will like the other trucks have. Is the gmc platform the same as the chevy silverado or are there small difference or would it be better to go with the gmc instead? sorry for the all newb questions and thanks for any help. Im just trying to find the best most realible truck to get for myself. thanks, Zach.
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:57 AM
CF Beginner

Hey, it's good that your doing the research. The only help I can be is that i had a 2000 silverado 1500 WT with a 4.8L V8, 5 speed manual transmission and the four wheel drive on the floor. It was just a stripped work truck. I had it for 7 years and drove it pretty hard. Put on about 140,000 miles and the truck ran great. The motor was still strong, it didnt burn oil, and the tranny hled up without a problem. One issue I had was a clunk in the steering column that was pretty common with them. It would happen when turning at low. I was able to feel it in the steering wheel and hear it slightly. when I brought it to the dealership they repacked it with greese or something and not to long after it started again. Somthing I got use to. I think I read somewhere that there is a better fix for it now. I had an 06 2500 that had the same problem as well. Another problem I had was with the fuel gage. Even if the tank was full, it would read empty on the gage when I first started the truck. after running for a few minutes it would show the proper reading. Had a couple more issues but they from me beating on it. Over all, it was a great truck. Hope this helped.
Old March 28th, 2010, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the help. yea im trying to do research. is there any other forums I can look at too, I like how my other ones are set up that not only will have like f150 but even futher into all the year groupings have their own little sections so that really helps with narrowing down to exactly what vehicle your looking for but owell just takes alittle longer searching for stuff. but yea just keep the info coming.
Old March 28th, 2010, 7:51 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest Consumer Reports for a comparison. We all love Chevy trucks here and we may be a little biased in our opinions.
Old March 28th, 2010, 8:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum, sir! I am also sort of a "Ford Guy" at heart, although I did recently purchase a used 2004 Silverado - with a 5.3L V8, 2wd, extended cab and LS trim level.

Any full-size truck from the "Big Three" should serve you well, so long as you take care of it. Ford - in my opinion - does have the best interior; Chevy has the best engines (power) and Dodge trucks have the most rugged look to them. I have driven a 5.4L Ford and it seemed a lot slower than my 5.3L Silverado, but that could have to do with gearing, tires, etc., etc.

Just post a question about nearly anything you need to know, and rest assured that someone will chime in with an answer.
Old March 28th, 2010, 1:19 PM
CF Veteran

i have an 04 silverado 1500 4wd 5.3L. i havent had too many problems with it. probably hit and miss but when i first got my truck a new power steering pump went on because it was leaking. only other problems i've had was a new gauge cluster gm has a special warranty for this rest assured. and my catalytic converter went bad at around 88k. probably hit and miss again. also check carcomplaints.com and search the big 3. my buddy had an 01 f150 supercrew 5.4L 4wd. the interior felt nice. but it slow. he had 18s with toyo mts so that might of had something to do with it but even then it didnt have any pickup. my uncle has a 2002 dodge 1500 sport edition with the 20s i dont like the suspension on it. rides pretty stiff. but it only has the 4.7 so i cant speak for the hemi edition. i'd say if your going with 4x4 get one with the floor shifter. lots of guys around here say it is better compared to the push button 4wd like chevy offers. one other problem i had was while my truck was being serviced chevy found that my 4wd actuator in my tc was bad. they replaced it and i havent had problems since and that happened in jan of 08.
Old March 28th, 2010, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

I agree with mudmaniac. I'll be pushing chevy on ya like many others here will. All my chevys had minor problems compared to my ford friends that would have bigger problems like the transmissions.
Old March 28th, 2010, 1:40 PM
CF Veteran

i like chevys for alot of reasons and im probably bias but thats all my dad has owned growing up and to this day. a couple years ago i thought about upgrading to a f250 v10 but i didnt merely because the truck was on 05 and was about 35k. lol but im happy with my truck. i love the motor and rear axle ratio setup. one night my buddy and i were driving out to his house. we come to a light and a dodge is next to us. single cab i believe manual tranny. this guy thought he was cool because his girl was in the truck and he gets into 2nd gear and just rides that gear hard finally took off at the line and i believe he got me off the line but after that the vortec pulled thru and i blew that guy away. as i was passing the guy my buddy looked over and saw the other dudes girl laughing cuz he just lost lol.
Old March 28th, 2010, 2:04 PM
CF Veteran

another thing to consider at least imo, is to check out the engine compartment and check out the room. if you plan on doing your own repairs and maintenance within your means. you'll want the most room to work and get your hands. chevys are great for that. meanwhile the triton motors take up the most room and barely any room to work. havent worked on too many dodges to say anything.