Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New Silverado Owner

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 9:16 AM
jwp
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Silverado Owner

Good Morning Everyone...

After 2 years of non-stop peer pressure, I finally took the plunge and last Tuesday I upgraded from a '05 Dodge RAM 1500 R/C SLT to a '07 Chevy Silverado R/C LS. So far, I'm very impressed; while I only went with the 4.3L V6 engine, it has plenty of power for the Highway/City driving I do and so far gets about 4 MPG better than the Dodge with the 4.7L V8 (that was my main complaint). But, I've got a few questions for all of your Chevy guru's, I'm looking for some help with a few (minor) upgrades...

1. Exhaust -- Yes, I know this is a V6, but, is there a replacement muffler for that engine to give a deeper sound? Anyone done this? On the V8 I would have gone with a Flowmaster 40, I just prefer not to spend $$ and sound like a riceburner running up and down the road.

2. XM Radio -- I wanted XM radio, but the package didn't have it... Can I add it and make it look factory (no external units)? I've seen some kits, for example the JPCustoms one, but will it work with my Radio? My radio doesn't have the "CAT" button on it, or does that matter?

3. Cruise Control -- I also wanted cruise control, but I didn't get that... Can I add it?

Again, I'm not looking to start a V6/V8 bash fest, just want to see what's out there...

Thanks everyone!

JP
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Silverado Owner

As far as question #2 you can add a factory XM tuner but first you will need to replace the radio with one that has a "CAT" button on the right side, these are XM compatible units easily found on Ebay.
You then can install the GM XM radio upgrade part #17801150

For question #3 these new trucks have cruise built-in but no controls to operate unless the option is selected, if you swap out the stering wheel for one with cruise and radio ccontrols you will be able to use the cruise control and also operate the stereo (if you upgrade it) I have bought several steering wheels on Ebay as well for this very reason.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

answer to Q #1 I have a 03 silverado w/ 4.3 vortec as well as a flowmaster exhaust, it sounds just like a v-8 no rice sound just a nice rumble, there are a lot of advantages to the 4.3 it's a cast iron block as well as a cast iron head, pretty uncommon in newer trucks,
Old August 3rd, 2007, 3:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 03silverado4.3

answer to Q #1 I have a 03 silverado w/ 4.3 vortec as well as a flowmaster exhaust, it sounds just like a v-8 no rice sound just a nice rumble, there are a lot of advantages to the 4.3 it's a cast iron block as well as a cast iron head, pretty uncommon in newer trucks,
the 5.3 has the same combo, at least in canada, you can get aluminum block or cast, same with heads, so that said I cant think of an advantage to a 4.3, they are harder on fuel then the 5.3, but ya should still sound ok with a good exhast, and header maybe.....