Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

No Pedal

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2010, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Pedal

Have a 1996 1500 that I can't seem to get a brake pedal in. Replaced rear seals and bearings, brake shoes (all new components), brake pads and front brake lines, brake calipers, and master cylinder.

Any ideas on what else to check for. Pedal "hardens" until you start her up, then it floors again.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 25th, 2010, 7:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the brake system is vacuum assisted, meaning it will feel hard until engine starts and it draws the vacuum it needs. it is possible that the vacuum booster, the big round thing master cylinder bolts to, could be shot. also tho, i assume you bled the entire brake system the right way, meaning starting at the furthest corner from master cylinder and working your way closer?
Old March 25th, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

yeah, we bled and bled and bled...nothing. now that you mention it, it does seem like we pulled the vacuum hose off and we could then get a pedal. suppose that's what it is. thanks.
Old May 11th, 2010, 6:52 AM
CF Beginner

Okay, changed out the vacuum booster and still nothing. Should I consider changing out the EBCM? I can't figure out what else to replace or what could be wrong.

Is there a proportioning valve on this thing or does the EBCM replace that?
Old May 11th, 2010, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a proporting valve, but i bet you didnt get all the air out when you blead the brakes. Get a clear tube poked trough a hole the cap of a clear plastic soda bottle, make sure the hose is submerged in new clean brake fluid 1/3 of the bottle, break farthest bleader loose and attach hose, close bleeder and have assistant pump brakes and hold with motor and key off. crack bleader untill pedal hits floor. Dont stop the process on that brake untill u see no more bubbles snd if the hose comes off without the bleeder closed you just let air back in. If you only changed the back and didnt run the resevouir dry you should only have to bleed the back 2. It takes a lot of bleeding to get all the air out.
Old May 12th, 2010, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

it must. i've bled through 2 bottles of fluid. i'll keep trying though. thanks.
Old May 13th, 2010, 1:19 AM
CF Junior Member

It is possible that you were sold the wrong master cylinder, I had that problem on one vehicle.