Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

noise

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2006, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise

i have a 96 4x4 with 5.0l and automatic tranny i've been trying to find out where this noise is coming from it doesnt do it in park or neutral only when driving and you are pressing on accelerator in starts making almost sounds like a diesel sound or ticking but goes away if you put in neutral or not giving it throttle noise increases with throttle but only does it in drive parked you can rev mototor no noise. could it be torque converter took to tranny shop they said tranny ok no fault codes or anything it doesnt do it all the time sometimes it goes away
Old January 25th, 2007, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: noise

I have close the the same issue, clicking noise that increases with rpms, doesn't do it all the time and only does it in drive. Did you ever find out what it was? I would really appreciate the info.
Thanks,
Sarah
Old January 25th, 2007, 7:23 PM
CF Junior Member

The ticking sound is related to engine internals. GM hasn't nailed it down... but i believe it to be exhaust related. There is a TSB out there. It is perfectly normal and more noticable on some engines more than others. The sound may go away and come back. It can start from day one, but tends to develope after engine break-in.

-- Rick
Old January 26th, 2007, 1:26 PM
CF Pro Member

It's possibleyou guys have " pinging ".
Old January 26th, 2007, 9:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Try filling up with super unleaded once to see if it reduces the 'noise'. The higher octane will reduce engine knock. You might not even see a difference, but its worth a shot.