Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Noob here, need help with 86 Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2012, 10:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here, need help with 86 Scottsdale

Hey guys, so I just bought my new toy. It is an 86 Chevrolet Scottsdale 10 (or so the fender says).

Its seems to be a bit frankenstein though. The truck is 8 lug, and 4wd witha solid front axle and manual hubs. I believe that "10" means 1/2 ton, but someone must have done some things to it.

Either way, here are my issues. The brakes first.......when I test drove it today before I bought it the rear brakes just lock up when you barely hit the brake pedal. It is so touchy, and I mean really touchy. You can hardly tough it light enough to just slow down without it locking up. I was told to bleed the lines, and check that the front brakes are grabbing. I didn't know if anyone out there hand any other ideas I should pursue tomorrow along with that.

#2 is that none of the gauges work the speedo just bounces around, and the fuel gauge stays above the "F" mark. The oil pressure is maxed out, and the temp gauge stays in the middle. Could that be one issue or am I looking at multiple sending units??

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old January 25th, 2012, 5:59 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fenders were really a weak point for rusting out on those square bodies and yours have been replaced somewhere along the line with fenders off of a half ton.

Pull the rear drums and you'll more than likely find the axle seals leaking.

First, make sure you've got a good battery to body to dash ground.

Both oil pressure and fuel gauge indicate that they can't find a ground and the temp gauge says it is disconnected altogether.....I'd sure check that electrical connector at the back of the cluster. If all that is in order, then attack it one gauge at a time.

Speedometer is mechanical and needs either a cable or head (cable is the first place I'd look).

Allan
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
CF Junior Member

I actually just put tires on it today, and no leaks in the drum (thank god). I will check the ground in the gauges, and pull the dash apart at somepoint. To be honest I really only want my temp gauge for sure right now. I can deal with the others later, but that temp is critical to me. I will post some updates when I get a chance. Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2012, 5:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were those rear shoes on backwards? Did one side have tow short shoes and the other two long?

Just throwin' ideas in the wind.

Allan
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
CF Active Member

What does the title claim the truck to be?

It is common to put 3/4 ton and 1 ton axles in 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks for using larger tires, heavy offroading, etc. You will need to crawl under there and try to find some ID numbers to see what you have.

Brakes sound like adjusters (or the shoes) installed incorrectly. Take some pictures, someone on here will spot it right off most likely.
Old January 27th, 2012, 7:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies guys! I took the VIN # up to Advance Auto Parts, and come to find out it is a K20 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe Camper Special 4x4. What a mouth full! It seems that the Scottsdale body parts were replacements.

As far as the brakes go I unfortunately didnt' get a chance to check the shoes when I checked the seals. I did see them, but didn't really pay any attention. I will have to check them when the rain lets up. I was also wondering if the issue was me. I have been so use to driving and working on my 03 Duramax that I think my pedal push was a bit excessive as I was use to the antilock brakes. I got it pretty down now as far as stopping without skidding, but as touchy as that pedal is I think you guys may be right. The front brakes are working as well.

Luckily I just sold my Duramax (thank god) and I have some money to play with. I am hoping to get the truck looking pretty good. I want it to stay aged, but I can't stand rust. That is the worst thing on vehicles.....to me anyway.

So I have another question or two...(go figure). #1 where is the temperature sensor? #2 On the frame....drivers side....under the hood, close to the radiator. There is a spade connector for a wire....what goes there? Lastly, right there at the corner of the radiator as well on the frame is 4 lines. The center two are brake lines. What are the two on either side of those brake lines? I am having a little trouble tracing them. Thanks for all the help.....(bought a Haynes manual hopefully that will help as well.)