Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Not a bearing, not a U-joint, what else could it be?

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2015, 10:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not a bearing, not a U-joint, what else could it be?

I spent all week watching youtube videos and reading on what this could be. My 2006 Silverado Z71 4wd 5.3 174,000 miles is making a sound in the rear as if a bearing is going out. Yesterday I removed the differential cover, took out both axles to find both bearings are perfectly intact. So I put the whole thing back together and set it in drive, while everything was moving I pinpointed the noise to the rear drivers side wheel. I also noticed when I removed the drum (truck has drum brakes in rear) I had to use a lot of force to remove it while the passenger side came off easily. I adjusted the shoes inwards to let the drum back, changed the brake cylinder thinking it might of been busted or stuck in open and forcing the shoes to press against the drum and the noise is still there. I'm lost right now, the only other thing I read on was the E-brake could be out of whack. WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE???
Old August 27th, 2015, 1:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

typically, brake noise is more of a scraping sound while bearing noises are a growling noise.
tires with irregular wear patterns make a growl noise exactly like a bearing. do the tires have a saw toothed wear pattern on the inner or outer edge.

with bearings, the noise will change when loaded and unloaded, for tires the noise is always present.