Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

NP-246 problem verified by GM (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2013, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same problem with my 98 'HOE

Originally Posted by tech2
definitely not a maintenance issue when the tcase oil pump rubs through the t case housing. A $12 clip can fix the issue if installed before the pump rubs through.

The driveshaft in no way would cause this leak.
Where can I find this clip?
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

for my 06 2500hd...from the dealer. I have been informed that Mr Trans now sells a fix to repair a hole in the case.

Last edited by tech2; March 20th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old July 29th, 2013, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Transfer Case "Clip Rub" is Real

Regardless of the smoke they blow..the issue is real. My 2007 Tahoe began to have a small leak at 145k miles. I wiped the transfer case down and watch for the source. As it turns out, a small hole had developed at a "notch" in the casting where an anti-rattle clip engages inside the case. I did some homework and the battlefield fix is J-B weld on the hole. The long term fix is to replace that clip with an aftermarket improvement. The hole is above the normal oil level in the case, so the oil doesn't run out. It was basically an ooze after I drove the truck that would result in an occasional driveway drip or two. Here's what the hole looked like...a view looking down on the upper half, passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails NP-246 problem verified by GM (sort of)-xfercasehole.jpg  
Old November 6th, 2013, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Angry transfer case problem

I am very upset with Chevy because of there GM -NP 246 transfer case !I have been a GM man for Over 28 years ! this should be a GM recall because of pump rub!I have a 2004 Avalanche !500 4X4 Z71 .The Engine lacks the power of a 350 and nocks when cold .Its done it since i bout it used with 89000 miles and the oil was in good shape and i change it the best i can .It runs good when it is warm but if it gets real cold out side it knocks when you start it. Now the transfer case is leaking because of what i just found out about the transfer case pump rubs a hole in the housing case on the tail shaft side . I will never ever buy a newer chevy truck or suv again!!!!!!!!!!I will drive a Ford truck or Dodge truck from now on !!!!Unless GM stands behind there mistake i am finished with Chevrolet trucks !!!!I have a friend who has a 1 ton Silverodo 4X4 and his transfer case is doing the same as mine . He says he is done with Chevrolet trucks also!When Chevrolet gose back the 350 engine and fixs this then i would consider trying the trucks i loved !I traded a F150 exstened cab for this and the 4.6 engine would run circles around this thing.Looks like im changing to Fords from now on!!! Hope Chevrolet reads This!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by little smokey; November 6th, 2013 at 8:07 PM. Reason: Not happy that this is not a recall!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 7th, 2013, 8:53 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Chevy1991
I just bought an 04 z71 and my tcase is makin a clicking noise and squeaking any idea on wat may solve the problem or is it a blown case?

yup the clip and pump, been doin a lot of resarch on the 246 TC, I want to install one in my truck build but not to sure after all of this?

update kit
Total Update Kit for Model 246 Transfer Case Chevy Silverado Tahoe Suburban GMC Yukon Sierra ALL with Model 246 Transfer Case

P.S. enjoy your fords and Donor trucks, they have their problems as well. if you had a 1995 ford 3/4 ton you would know about the auto trans in them, or the 2010 (I think that is the right year??) 1-ton debauckle, every 1-ton ford was recalled for a new trans, they couldn't pull your hat off. dodge (aka donors, the only thing they are good for is donating a darn good diesel motor for a better purpose, LOL) 3/4 and 1-ton 4X4 front axels use the same ball joints as the tundra, hence their 90k complete front axel rebuild. OP sorry for the hijack, I just don't like talk like that, none of these trucks are purfict. Ok you got burned by a dealer, not the truck mfg. I guess that is why I won't buy from a "Chevy" dealer, they are all rich, at our cost!!!! pick them up used, at least I didn't make a payment on his $500k home. (our local dealer)

Last edited by tinbender59; December 7th, 2013 at 9:09 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

I think it's bs that there's not a recall on this problem especially since gm clearly knows about it and how to fix it I'm currently having this problem on my 04 the noise started real quiet and I thought it was just the park brake rubbing maybe then it got a little louder I thought u joint but they all looked good so I done some research a few weeks ago and landed on this topic and wouldn't you know it about a week later this hole appears in my t case. Does anyone know how long you can run it like this before the whole case is shot?
Old December 5th, 2014, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Wow. I never knew how much there was on this "Pump Rub". I have an 03 Tahoe with the NP8 246 transfer case and have just recently discovered a leak that's spitting out fluid all over under the truck. I couldn't find the leak as it was difficult to identify where it was coming from. After a week of driving I the leak stopped and I washed the whole underneath of the truck and still couldn't see where it was coming from and assumed it somehow fixed its self as I have checked the trans fluid the coolant and oil and everything seemed fine. A week later I go to put it into four wheel drive and this strange grinding sound comes from the front drivers side wheel area at acceleration and when turning..so I take it to MR Lube and they top everything off and say that the transfer case was only slightly low so they added a bit of fluid. I get back home and I smell something and I look under the truck and fluid is everywhere again. So I crawl under there and start wiping down the T-case and I find this tiny pinhole that keeps spitting out fluid. After looking on the internet I am astonished that where this hole is, its the exact same spot where all these others have had the same problem. Why didnt GM address this with a recall? This is ridiculous. I am a Toyota guy but out of sheer "Need" I had to find something that could take all 4 kids and the wife and be dependable in the winter....Now we are %@#!ed. After reading everything on the web about this issue and how GM handled it. I am happy to say that I wont ever buy another GM or CHEV again. This is unreal.
Old December 6th, 2014, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Kerly...I posted earlier in the thread (July '13) as Oldgoat. The J-B weld fix worked and no more drips after 18 months. Clean the area around the pinhole with degreaser, rough the area with some emery cloth and slather on the J-B weld. I'd hate to see you dump the vehicle over an easy and cheap fix (even though it has us all POed...and nearly drove me crazy figuring it out). Good luck.
Old June 27th, 2015, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

I'm sure some folks may pile on. I have a 1999 Tahoe with both issues. There's a hole in the t-case from the pump rub and a clicking noise coming from the t-case as well. This has been an issue since the 90's. So GM has known about this for quite some time. I would be surprised to find that there aren't any bulletins on these issues. I do agree that since this is a long running issue that impacts a large number of vehicles that GM should offer some kind of compensation. But unless someone is seriously injured due to the t-case problems they won't issue a recall. It took them how many years and how many deaths before they issued a recall for the ignition switches. And I think that took an act of congress before they did so. So don't hold your breath.
Old June 27th, 2015, 7:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

search brny t-case repair and a cheap easy fix to this problem. dorman makes a t-case half.
if the t-case oil pump is not secured with a new updated clip or a brny insert not installed; the pump will just hammer new holes at the other case tab locations.