Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

oil

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil

quick question..i put castrol high mileage in my truck last time and im going to do an oil change today. i dont have a reason why i put high mileage in my truck. 90k on it. can i go back to normal castrol motor oil?
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

should be able to. i'd maybe run a can of engine flush thru system first, then drain oil and change.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

care to explain haha
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

it's been said that todays oils will mix together fine, unlike the old days where even mixing different brands caused problems. but, i'm not a fan of taking chances, so i would buy a can of motor flush, drop it in with oil, run rig for the 5 or 10 minutes as directed. this will help to get sludge (if any) out. i've never gone from one brand or type of oil to another without doing this, so not sure if it's even necessary. like i say tho, not one to take chances. i expect alot out of my rigs. i expect them to perform as well as i take care of them.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

definitely. im picking up what your laying down. sounds easy enough. ever since i bought my truck in 08 i've used castrol.
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

good oil. used to run castrol alot, but switched to mobil 1 when i got the white truck. i take the white truck to gm lube, that's what they use (cheaper for them to do it than it is me)
Old March 14th, 2010, 8:47 PM
CF Senior Member

alright guys. take this info as a very heavy opinion and fact backing it up. I work with oil daily. teh whole myth of synthetic in a high mileage motor is busted. it doesnt matter. first off, on an older motor, if your using high mileage oil, in that oil is a special additive. it is a rubber enhancer. allows the gaskets to swell and not be so dried out. think about it, if you take a sponge, with time away from water it shrinks, gets dried out. all rubber lose the chemicals that make it not crack, hence why we get cracked and dry tires. but, you take that sponge, put water to it and it swells back to shape and works well again. same thing with high mileage. When you take that additive away, your sponge, or seals will dry out maybe not soon, but long enough it will. the manufacturers recommend that if you have a leak, dont switch away from high mileage.
brands. it doesnt matter. oil is oil. what makes mobil one different from pennzoil is additives. thats it. just like atf, its all about additives. did you know atf starting out is clear and after 26 additives its a darkish oil color, then they add color red to distinguish between oil and atf. brands dont matter. when people say brands matter, they dont realize some brands put in different additives that will stop a leak, then when switched, they leak again.
synthetic versus conventional. the big battle. main topic is people think synthetic is thinner than reg. oil. not true. if it was thinner, then the SAE would rate it thinner. it has different properties yes. but it is not thinner.
basic line is you can do what ever you want. if your using high mileage now and have or had a leak without repair, then you would want to keep with high mileage. if you got nothing going on, get what ever your lil heart desires
as for engine flushes. they work. I sell the one gallon flush. you drain, install new filter, add gallon of flush, run for 15 minutes, drain, new filter and add new oil. no matter what that oil on that stick when you check it is so sparkly clean you cant tell where the oil level is. ever hear the man with the million mile truck? origional motor, trans and everything. every 100k he did a trans flush, coolant flush, every other oil interval a fuel additive and injector cleaning like seafoam. once a year or every 12k miles a engine flush. his motor still goes and he still drives it. but theres a lot of information. this comes from experience, lots of research that i did on my own so i could tell customers the truth and have facts behind my opinions
Old March 14th, 2010, 9:00 PM
CF Veteran

great info and insight!!! thanks cams!!!!
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, great info! Good to know! Always wondered about that kind or stuff...